Looking to get a pair of paddle fins...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lonebrave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to get a pair of paddle fins to replace my splits. I've been reading reviews of the Jets, Slipstreams, and F1. It seems like it comes down to personal preference and foot pocket size. So, would anyone on Oahu have one (or more) of these three that I could borrow for a dive? Or do you know of a dive shop that would let me try any of them before buying?

I would call a dive shop and ask. Most will find a way to let you try out a pair of used fins, especially if they think you are serious about buying a new pair.

Just curious, why are you "replacing" your split fins? Are you going to be doing tech, wreck or cave diving ? I own Vipers, Jets, and Mares Splits,and my splits get the most use when I'm hunting or covering a lot of ground, I tried the Jets and for distances in current it was not as efficient...But you can usually find a pair of used paddle fins on Ebay for $10-$20 and all you'll need to do is get new straps (preferably springs)

Like Gmanston said, I as well have a pair of Oceanic Vipers. I got them at this location in a package deal, with a snorkel, mask, booties, mask defog, and a gear bag.

These got a Scubalab best buy (no, I don't work for Scuba Diving Magazine):

Oceanic Viper Fins (Open Heel)

The slipstreams are a great fin in a wet suit. They Are neutral in the water and with the added spring strap do a very nice job blasting through anything. If your dry then jets or turtles are a better options. The added weight helps you feel the fin in the water much better. All the power that you put in to these will be translated to the water.

Last edited:
Just curious, why are you "replacing" your split fins? Are you going to be doing tech, wreck or cave diving ? I own Vipers, Jets, and Mares Splits,and my splits get the most use when I'm hunting or covering a lot of ground, I tried the Jets and for distances in current it was not as efficient...But you can usually find a pair of used paddle fins on Ebay for $10-$20 and all you'll need to do is get new straps (preferably springs)

Going to do a wreck class soon, with possible other tech in the future.

The slipstreams are a great fin in a wet suit. They Are neutral in the water and with the added spring strap do a very nice job blasting through anything. If your dry then jets or turtles are a better options. The added weight helps you feel the fin in the water much better. All the power that you put in to these will be translated to the water.

I'm leaning toward the slipstreams based only on what I've read online (diving wet right now, dry is a possibility in the future when/if I leave the islands or start doing longer dives), but I want to give them all a chance in the water.

Years back, when the "New Gear" issues came out, they always compared the new fins to Jet fins. Problem was, the Jets kept beating the newest and greatest. So, they stopped comparing to the Jets. That being said, we sometimes do a bit of heavy condition diving here along the Gulf Coast. Currents, needing to get somewhere fast, sometimes with a load or drag, and the Jets get me there every time. +1 on the spring straps. Easy on, easy off, never fall off. Look around on your next dive trip, and you will see some of the older, more experienced divers quietly hooking up their Jets, taking their buddies and and leaving the group behind.

Looking to get a pair of paddle fins to replace my splits. I've been reading reviews of the Jets, Slipstreams, and F1. It seems like it comes down to personal preference and foot pocket size. So, would anyone on Oahu have one (or more) of these three that I could borrow for a dive? Or do you know of a dive shop that would let me try any of them before buying?
Try all three borrow / buy and return, rent whatever. Hard to say what will be the "best" The Jets are more negative in the water. I have used all of them and like them all however the new Jet in the XXL fins my drysuit boots the best. Did not dislike the slipstreams either it was a matter of comfort on my foot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom