looking to do some diving while in Waikiki at the end of this month, recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thatdiveguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I will be staying at the Sheraton hotel in Waikiki at the end of this month and am looking at doing some diving. I've got all day on the 29th or 30th (still tbd which day I get to sneak away on, most likely 29th) and then time for a morning shore dive on the 31st. Any suggestions on a charter to use and/or good shore diving spots and for a shop for renting tank/weights? I'm AOW certified so if the charters are going to deeper spots I'm ok with that. I won't have a vehicle for transportation so the closer to the hotel the better.

Also, anyone willing to be my dive buddy while I'm out there? and what will I need for thermal protection?

Thanks in advanced.

Scuba Diving in Hawaii with Kaimana Divers | Dive Oahu with the pros, or Kaimana Divers. That's my recommendation. They have a top-shelf staff and will show you a great time under the water. I live here, so I don't know about the transportation requirement. If you contact Gabe (the owner, his number is on the web page), he can fill you in on all the details. I have done several dives with them and have never been disappointed. Personal service with a focus on fun AND safety is the norm.

EDIT: And I'd LOVE to dive with you, but I recently underwent surgery and don't know if I'll be cleared. :( Regarding exposure suits, I dive with a 3mm full suit. Sometimes, I get cold on the second dive. Unless the sun is out and I warm up during the surface interval.

Another +1 for Gabe at Kaimana. I will happily expand on my recomendation if you want. Before I moved here, when I was in town for work, Gabe was always willing to pick me up at my hotel.
Myles

Add another recommendation for Gabe and crew at Kaimana Divers. Gabe is Scottitheduck here on scubaboard. I have a full 3mm suit, which is generally enough for me year round unless I'm doing two 60+min shore dives. I'll typically get a bit cold on the second in that case.

I can't comment on his current policies regarding pickup, but I know he has picked up customers multiples times in the past when I've been diving with them.

Another vote for Gabe. I just moved to the island and dove with him this past Saturday! I would be pleased to dive with you if you need a buddy!

wow, everyone seems to like Gabe, even in the chat channel. Looks like I'll be hitting you up shortly Gabe to setup a boat trip! Just trying to figure out which day I can go. I'll touch base with you shortly too RickyF, thanks for offering to be a buddy :)

definitely go with gabe and kaimana... i just recently returned from a trip and did 21 dives with them and loved every second and saw something new each time... safety is their top priority although fun is a close second... their staff is amazing and the club divers all made me feel like i lived there and dove with them for years... They do hotel transfers from all Waikiki area hotels so no worries on getting a car. +1 for the darkside dive... absolutely unbelievable dive and you can stay under for like an hour and a half!!!

........ +1 for the darkside dive... absolutely unbelievable dive and you can stay under for like an hour and a half!!! Unless you are an air hog like Kevin

Fixed that for you, Cooper. LOL Actually, I only lasted about 50 minutes, but I am getting better on air. The Dark Side dive is definitely on my list for a revisit once I am cleared hot, or wet. Whatever. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom