Looking to dive this weekend 1/17/15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raystafarian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So it's a three day weekend and I was looking to maybe travel somewhere in FL and do some diving. I'm in Orlando. My go-to is BHB, but the tide charts look like sat/sun will be 4 low-light dives. What are some other good spots for this time of year that I could on air? My next guess was either Key Largo or Ginnie Springs.

Pompano is another option if marine conditions are decent. Click on the 15'-40' tab to see some of the reefs. I think Pompano's shallow reef line is beautiful if there is no or only minimal surge.

Dive Sites - South Florida Diving Headquarters

Lauderdale by the Sea can be beach dove if marine conditions are decent. Force-E or Gold Coast Scuba can supply info.

Williston is 90 miles or so from Orlando where you'll find Devil's Den and Blue Grotto. Both fun dives to do once or twice.

Heck, you even have Disney's Epcot Dive Quest in your back yard. Not cheap, but fun to do once.

All of these are good non-nitrox dives (assuming you don't go to the very bottom of Blue Grotto)

BTW: low light dives at BHB are quite nice: Check to see if Pura Vida and/or Force-E are sponsoring night dives.

Thanks! I think we've opted to go to Ginnie Springs on Sat and then maybe blue grotto or devils den on Sunday. Maybe both if we can swing it.

Dove Ginnie Springs on Saturday and hit Devil's Den on Sunday. These were dives 11-13 for me - started with about 8 hours bottom time.

I did all right at Ginnie Springs, I'm not so sure that I was ready for a cavern even if it was the ballroom. I didn't hit my head or kick up too much silt, but once we were in there in the pitch dark with no other divers, it put me on high alert. Frankly, I was too cold in 3mm with the air temp hanging in the 40s. Also, I still rent gear and their gear sucks, I had to exchange my reg between dives because my primary was difficult to breathe and I had to switch to my secondary. I wanted to do the Ginnie Springs the first dive and then head up river for the triple springs, but after the first dive I figured I needed to do it again to become more comfortable.

Devil's Den was packed, so I went in as most of the large groups were finishing up. It was a really neat dive, made it around twice. Went through a couple swim-throughs and looked around on some of the walls, but didn't spot any fossils. After that, it was just a bunch of rocks. Their rentals were pretty decent quality.

While they aren't the most spectacular dives, I enjoyed both of them. I can't say I'd recommend Ginnie Springs for a diver of my experience unless they are with a guide. After two days of dark, cold dives, I really look forward to getting back down to BHB in the sun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom