Looking to buy a camera.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItsMandy227

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the diving thing and I'm very interested in purchasing a pretty inexpensive camera. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is digital better than regular film? If I get a digital camera can I use it on land as well and will the pictures be just as good? As I said this is all new to me so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

You probably should search the threads here first as this question is asked almost daily.
It's not a matter of digital being better than film. It's more about what you expect.
Both film and digital can be used on land and underwater.
There are far too many cameras to suggest just one.
You can get an underwater camera that is already waterproof or you can get a camera and a seperate housing for it.
Take your time and read throught the posts. It is somewhat frustrating but there is no easy answer. Determine how much money you want to spend.
These type posts often start a war between digital versus film and I don't want to go there. My two cents worth is to get a digital camera as it is easier to learn on since you can see the results immediately underwater and make adjustments accordingly for the next photo.
The amount of time you get to dive determines the amount of experience you will get with a camera. It takes time.

I agree with everything Gilligan said. So get a tall beverage, a comfy chair and start reading this forum from this page backwards. We don't mean to be so negative but you need to make some starting decisions, such as budget and expectations, before we can attempt to help.

Jepuskar just posted a link to an article on how to buy online, which has some very good advice in it.

Yes, I'll 2nd that article. Great advice.

~~~you gotta love the edit feature.~~~~

Dee:
I agree with everything Gilligan said. So get a tall beverage, a comfy chair and start reading this forum from this page backwards. We don't mean to be so negative but you need to make some starting decisions, such as budget and expectations, before we can attempt to help.

Someone just posted a link to an article on how to buy online, which has some very good advice in it.

:rofl: Ok, I fixed it. I knew it was you but I couldn't think how to spell your kinky name at the moment. I was gonna go fix it then got sidelined by a PM.

Dee:
:rofl: Ok, I fixed it. I knew it was you but I couldn't think how to spell your kinky name at the moment. I was gonna go fix it then got sidelined by a PM.

My name has been called a bunch of things, some referencing body parts, but never kinky!!

Does Beast know about this?

With you, I knew I should have just said Hinky! wink

Dee:
We're gonna confuse somefolks! haha

Yeah, looks like I was editing and you were posting.

I felt bad when you gave me credit on another thread for it..ohh well.

I could go back and change it again, but I think its funnier this way.

Yeah...let 'em wonder!

ItsMandy227:
I'm pretty new to the diving thing and I'm very interested in purchasing a pretty inexpensive camera. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is digital better than regular film? If I get a digital camera can I use it on land as well and will the pictures be just as good? As I said this is all new to me so any advice will be greatly appreciated.
A housed system will give you the diversity of using it on land or sea.What ever you get film or digital be sure you can see what the lens is focused on.Two flashes are always better than one and get an ajustable strobe arm. Also, I HIGHLY RECOMEND you should research underwater photography mabey take a course (many dive shops offer this as a specialty class) before you buy.I started small and now own a large nikon housed system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom