Looking Scuba Club Coz updates.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heatherohio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just received a quote for a SCC to travel in October, and I am looking for some reviews since the hurricane. Anyone who has recently been there???? Info wanted re: dive op there... small/large boat. DM's work with divers? My husband and I are novice. Doing OW check-outs end of the month, in Ohio. Shore Diving??? Decent? Location, is it a short or long ride to the reefs, etc. Overall food and resort? Thank You all to these great threads on Scuba board. This is a great resource! :D :D (PS: I tried to make this short and to the point. Sometimes too much BS... :wink:

heatherohio:
I just received a quote for a SCC to travel in October, and I am looking for some reviews since the hurricane. Anyone who has recently been there???? Info wanted re: dive op there... small/large boat. DM's work with divers? My husband and I are novice. Doing OW check-outs end of the month, in Ohio. Shore Diving??? Decent? Location, is it a short or long ride to the reefs, etc. Overall food and resort? Thank You all to these great threads on Scuba board. This is a great resource! :D :D (PS: I tried to make this short and to the point. Sometimes too much BS... :wink:

SCC has alot of fans, but everyone has their own preferences.

They do use large boats so you won't be in small groups. If you want the DM to work with you, I am sure the option to hire a private DM is available for an additioanl charge.

Shore diving in Cozumel is nothing to write home about...never has been, but less so since the hurricane. The shoreline was scoured so I wouldn't make shore diving a deal breaker...it won't be any better anywhere else on the island.

In Cozumel there is really no such thing as a long ride to the reefs. HOwever, there are "fast" boats and "slow" boats. SCC uses large boats so they are on the slower, liesurely side. Rides to the reefs will range from 15 minutes to an hour depending on where you go.

I can't comment on the food as I have never eaten there, but like any AI resort...the food is edible...although there are much better options in town :) SCC is close enough to walk to town if you don't like the food there.

By the way, all hotels (except Presidente and Park Royal) are open and fully operational.

I hope this helps.

Heather, go my dear, go, and have a great time. Check with www.PapaHogs.com and tell them Michael from Blue Dolphin sent you. The DM's will take very good care of you. You can shore dive right there at there location, and eat or even stay at there simple lodgings.

Blue Dolphin Scuba:
Heather, go my dear, go, and have a great time. Check with www.PapaHogs.com and tell them Michael from Blue Dolphin sent you. The DM's will take very good care of you. You can shore dive right there at there location, and eat or even stay at there simple lodgings.

One thing, though. If she stays at SCC, I don't believe that diving with Hogg's is an option. Last I heard, if you stay there, you dive with them.

ggunn:
One thing, though. If she stays at SCC, I don't believe that diving with Hogg's is an option. Last I heard, if you stay there, you dive with them.

This is correct as the diving is part of the pricing package. They may have a non-diver package, but she would have to go elsewhere to catch a bpat with another operation as other operators cannot pick-up at Scuba Club. SCC is an all-inclusive DIVE resort...vs. other AI hotels that just have onsite dive shops.

Christi:
SCC is an all-inclusive DIVE resort...vs. other AI hotels that just have onsite dive shops.

Not to be picky but just so the thread starter is aware, adult beverages are not included at SCC.

James

just came back from cozumel, and i'm sorry to report that the quality of the diving has decreased by about 50% since the hurricane. all the sponges and vegitation above 80 feet are gone -along with the sea-fans and other delicate stuff. lots of the fish are also gone. personally, i'm going to give it a good 5 or 6 years before heading back to what was my favorite dive spot. if you are intent on going, you will still have a great time, and there is still plenty to look at. you will most likely not even notice if you have never been there before. let me give you a few dinning suggestions: la chosa, la prima, pedro's backyard, the mission, the lobster house, and pepe's steak house. in my opinion, these are the best eateries on the island! -cheers

James Goddard:
Not to be picky but just so the thread starter is aware, adult beverages are not included at SCC.

James

Nor are soft drinks. Breakfast will include coffee & juice. After that, it's water or $$. Rooms have fridge and market is 2 blocks north.

Greggro:
...let me give you a few dinning suggestions: la chosa, la prima, pedro's backyard...

That's Pancho's Backyard, but you're right, all the places you mention are on my list.

Greggro:
just came back from cozumel, and i'm sorry to report that the quality of the diving has decreased by about 50% since the hurricane
Sorry to hear that is your opinion and that you didn't enjoy your trip...that makes me sad. However, as we are all entitled to do...I have to respectifully disagree with you. Your 50% figure is arbitrary and many would disagree with you.

Greggro:
all the sponges and vegitation above 80 feet are gone -along with the sea-fans and other delicate stuff. lots of the fish are also gone.
That's a bit of an exaggeration don't you think? Yes, there is damage in shallower areas, some reefs are worse than others and some are virtually untouched, but to say that they are all "gone" is simply not true. Marine life is thriving with juveniles, intermediate phase, and large fish all over the place, even on the severely damaged sites such as Yucab. I counted 7 different species on just one small coral head last week (Divinginthedark was with me). Many reports claim more marine life than before. Those few of of you who are claiming no marine life must not be diving the same sites I am.

Greggro:
personally, i'm going to give it a good 5 or 6 years before heading back to what was my favorite dive spot.
That is certainly your prerogative and no one can make that decision for you.

if you are intent on going, you will still have a great time, and there is still plenty to look at. you will most likely not even notice if you have never been there before
Yes there is and conditions continue to improve daily.

let me give you a few dinning suggestions: la chosa, la prima, pedro's backyard, the mission, the lobster house, and pepe's steak house. in my opinion, these are the best eateries on the island! -cheers

Have you tried these other very good restarurants?
Guido's
La Cocay
Especias
Camilos
Sonora Grill
Parilla Mission (the original Mission - tastier and less expensive)
El Moro
El Pique
Perlita
Chi
Casa Denis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom