Looking for wetsuit flexibility...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssvirsky

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for a comforable combo that I can use here in Rockport MA during the warmer months (June-Sept boat dives) and also for traveling when the locations are cooler than typical tropical waters (like Galapagos). I HATED my old 7mm suit (and accompanying weight, but I was warm enough in it) that I had used here for shore dives after getting C'd, enough to stop diving here at home.

I am looking at Henderson hyperstretch fullcore with each piece (full suit and body core) each at 5 mm. I figure I can add a vest if I need to, and can layer these with my other suits for traveling to get multiple options, not to mention always head protection. The big thing is I want to be comfortable enough to not be put off from diving out my back door!

I will have to go custom. I have Seaquest suits that fit awesome but their heavier suits sent me over the edge in difficulty to put on. No Henderson standard fits.

Any feedback or recommendations, particularly on getting a Henderson custom-made?

Thanks, Susan

ssvirsky:
I am looking for a comforable combo that I can use here in Rockport MA (boat dives, but I don't have to do multiples, we own the boat and go out all the time)and also for the Galapagos and other less warm locations. I HATED my old 7mm suit (and weight, and I then I was warm enough in a 1 piece 7mm) that I tried here on shore dives after getting C'd. I am really claustophic on tons of neoprene (plus the weight).

I am looking at Henderson hyperstretch fullcore with each piece (full suit and body core) each at 5 mm. I figure I can add a vest if I need to, and can layer these with my other suits for traveling, not to mention always head protection.

I will have to go custom. I have Seaquest suits that fit awesome but their heavier suits sent me over the edge. No Henderson standard fits.

Any feedback or recommendations, particularly on getting a Henderson custom?

Thanks, Susan

I'm a few weeks from being C'd but I did do a lot of skin diving on the coast of Maine last year. I was using a Bare 5/4 Velocity and a 3/5 hooded vest. My legs and torso were always comfortable. Surprisingly I used that same outfit the last 2 weekends with water temps barely into the 40sF and was OK. Where I do feel it is in the arms, not that they get cold but they do feel cool so I know I'm loosing energy there.

Last night I tried my new 7mm and all was cozy for 65 minutes, then I got out, still cozy.

Keep in mind this is all surface experience, insulation value will be diminished at depth. My first concern with your plan would be the arms. If your dives don't consist of steady swimming I would think your legs would chill next in the compressed 5mm even with a lot of muscle activity your legs may chill.

What you don't say is how far you extend your diving season, that may be the deal breaker if you dive an extended season into the coldest months.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom