Looking for the best spot on Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregFil

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Aloha everybody...:)

I want to escape to Hawaii from Philly in Dec .
I am looking for a nice spot to dive and relax.
Nice quite hotel (all inclusive would be nice ) good beach...
But the most important is to get good dive.
It is my first time on Hawaii. I am advanced diver and my wife got open water cert..
I think to spend around 7-10 days over there.
Questions are:
1. Which island I have to choose?
2. Which part of this Island is the best?
3. What are the best diving spots around there?

Once We've been diving in Cozumel with another diver and she told us that
she was on the Maui and dive 7 days off shore for $100

Is that is true? Becouse I heard Hawaii is pretty expensive....

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you have your own gear, you can rent a tank and weights and get airfills and do shore diving on your own for cheap. Once you are talking boat dives, you are looking at $100 and up each day, not 7 days for $100 if I'm reading you correctly. Maui seems to be pushing $125-$140 for a two tanker from what I've seen.

There are few all inclusives here outside a few high end spots (the Kona Village Resort is the only one I can think of on the Big Island) and they don't particularly cater to divers as maybe less than a percent or two of arrivals are even thinking diving when they come to Hawaii. You'll probably be booking resorts and diving separately, and looking for food on your own unless you just want to use the restaurants at whatever resort you choose to stay at.

Go back through the topics on this forum and you'll likely find lots, even recently,of topics on which island is the best for diving and other touristy stuff. Each island has it's strengths.

Have fun,

I think the key is whether you're looking for guided dives, or just tanks & weights.

You could easily dive a week here for $100 if all you needed was tanks & weights and were willing to just "go explore." If that's what you choose to do, you might consider going to one of the local dive shops like Maui Dreams Dive Co. and just "talk story" with them for a bit to get a feel for the dive sites.

If you need a guide, then you're looking at $90 (2-tank shore) to $120-and-up (2-tank boat) PER DAY of diving...

I'm not sure what the shore dive possiblities are on the Big Island -- on Maui, they're plentiful, and sometimes better than some of the boat dive spots...

It all depends what kind of diving you want as each island has it's own specialty. I live in Waikiki and it is is busy and will be especially so in December. You could stay up on the North Shore where it would be much more quiet and relaxing, but diving up there in December is not really that great and slim (Surfers territory in the Winter). Oahu has lots to offer and a little bit for everyone...What exactly are you looking for?

Wow...
First of all you guys are good.
Thank you so much for the fast response.
I think i am looking for kind of Cozumel diving...
means nothing extrime.
Coral reafs, a lot of fish.....
caves would be nice....
maybe (wow) something big...(dolphins,sharks etc...)
Extreme means nothing to see, poor visibility, really strong current
How's snorkling on Maui?

Shaka Doug so what the price for shore diving?

thanbk you so much for your help

you won't find coz prices anywhere on the hawaiian islands. December is high season so it will more than likely be packed where ever you decide to stay. Good luck. I live on Oahu and do strictly shore diving since charters are so expensive. I know our fuel prices are high, but not that high. On Oahu you can find charters for $85 for 2tanks. Seeing as how we are in the middle of the ocean the water is always different. You can have one day of 100+ vis with no current and the next day 20ft vis with a rippin' current. There is plenty to see on O'ahu and the Big Island (for sightseeing).

Melissa

Shaka Doug:
Myself (and others) offer two tank shore dives for much less than $90. Whose prices are you quoting here Kris?
Sorry, Doug... I thought that was pretty standard. Maui Dreams is $89 for a 2-tank shore dive.

I've seen higher, too... but I figured those were the oddballs.

Hi GregFil,

Unlike many of my competitors, you will find all of my prices listed on my website at www.shakadivers.com. Please visit and have a look. You can always send me a private e-mail if you'd like.

Thanks Kris....I know most of us have had to raise our prices slightly recently. It's getting to be a "rich man's sport" again. Not easy to make a living blowing bubbles and looking at fish all day!!!!

KrisB:
Sorry, Doug... I thought that was pretty standard. Maui Dreams is $89 for a 2-tank shore dive.

And they don't even give you booties to protect your feet from the coral and hot pavement!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom