Looking for the best spot on Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug -- I've noticed that the overhead here seems to be pretty steep with all the regulation... I really feel for you guys.

On the plus side, I understand a person can make some pretty good coin doing dive instruction in the lower mainland of British Columbia (Canada)... so there's always that option for you! :D

I think Maui Dreams will do open-heel fins and booties if you ask... it's just not usually part of the standard package. But if you're walking on the coral (especially without your full-foot fins on), then there's *really* something wrong! :D

Gregfil - If you bring your own gear and do shore dives without a paid guide you will find that air on Maui is about the cheapest around - you can easily get fills for under $5 with a tank rental and some as low as $2 (if you're going to do a LOT of diving :D ) but even at $5/fill you could easily get 20 dives for that $100 - not bad at all.

I have not done much diving on the other islands, but Maui does have a lot of good shore diving - when you arrive pick up the book "The Divers guide to Maui" other than it's coverage of Molokini it's all shore diving spots around the island (about 50 spots are covered I think) you can also ask around here and we can share the spots not listed there (plenty of them)

No matter which island though, you'll enjoy some great diving and vacation time.

Aloha, Tim

GregFil:
Wow...
First of all you guys are good.
Thank you so much for the fast response.
I think i am looking for kind of Cozumel diving...
means nothing extrime.
Coral reafs, a lot of fish.....
caves would be nice....
maybe (wow) something big...(dolphins,sharks etc...)
Extreme means nothing to see, poor visibility, really strong current
How's snorkling on Maui?

Shaka Doug so what the price for shore diving?

thanbk you so much for your help

I would have to caution you that Cozumel and Hawaii have very little in common when you're talking about diving. Being in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, Hawaii has cooler waters, thus no soft coral or sponges. The marinescape is hard, hard, hard....I always liken it to the moon, stark and barren in appearance.

That said, I love diving in Hawaii. There are some really cool critters and I love looking for all the neat macro creatures that are tucked away in the lava rock and hard coral. However, I've heard more than one person complain that they hate diving in Hawaii as everything is "dead". It's definitely far from dead, but I do see where they might think that.

You can definitely do some very easy, excellent diving in Hawaii though. And if you're looking for caverns, there aren't many better than the Cathedrals of Lanai. Like Kidspot said too, you can do some really great shore diving on Maui for the cost of weights and a fill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom