Looking for the best SoCal dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seakdivers

Reaction score
Hello.

My boyfriend and I are heading to the L.A. / San Diego area next week, and we are interested in finding a dive shop that has lots of inventory so we can try out/ try on lots of different equipment.
What are your recommendations?

Thanks!

Sport Chalet ( they are all over the place in LA and OC)

They have a good selection of general gear.

DiversDiscount in RSM ( Rancho Santa Margarita )

yes they are an online dive shop but they do have a show room in Orange County. OC is mid way between LA and SD. If your in LA and you are going to SD your its only 10 min off the freeway.

They have alot of gear, you just need to ask. They have a computer for customers to use to see there stock, then you could ask them to try it on in your size. Its not a big deal, they are doing it every time i am in there for air fills. There are always people in there trying things on. I would guess they have the most gear as they are a large online company.

Aqua Adventures in Burbank Very nice people, but a little out on my way.

SeaStallions in Lake Forest

They were very helpfull a few times.

any questions feel free to ask me.

Andy

I dont work at any dive shops, i have used all i listed above. If you post what gear you want to try i can narrow down some shops that carry what you want.

to some of Arnaud's suggestions, you might also want to look at:

http://www.scuba-toys.com/index.html

I have not been there, but I have heard positive things. A word about Sport Chalet - if you know what you want and they have it, that's one thing, but scuba equipment is not their primary business.

Oh, and tourism-wise, if you will be in town by Sunday, March 23, that is Diver's Day at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach -- free admission with your C-card.

See http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/ for details.

In San Diego, go to Aqua Tech, right off of I-5. Exit Cesaer Chavez. You can find everything they have at DiveUS.com. They have very good prices and good inventory. In Orange County, I would suggest Liburdi's in Santa Ana, great selection and great people. They have a 12ft pool w/ an artificial reef, where you can try any product. DO NOT go the Diver's Discount, they have people there that don't know anything about dive equipment!!! The only thing they have in stock are fins and wet suits. Go to a real store. They don't have a show room at all.

BA

I live 5 min from DD and they do have a shop. If you ask to try something on they are more than happy to get it from the back and let you try it on.

There is no way to show all the gear they stock, they are a huge online shop, no one has that much showroom space.

I will agree that unless you know what you want, they will sell you what they think is good, so do your homework before you go.

They have way more than fins and wetsuits, you are just plain wrong i am afraid.

I am not saying this is the greatest shop around, i dont think they are at all. But they do have alot of gear to try on.

Also, Liburdies is in Costa Mesa.

The only Santa Ana shop i know is Open Water Habitat, and i would quit diving before i was reduced to shopping there. I have posted about OWH and some of there Dishonest dealings.

Maybe DD pissed you off and thats why your against them. If you go, ask for Rick ( there service tech ) he has been nothing but helpfull and just a hell of a nice person to me every time.

Andy

Just setting the facts straight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom