Looking for suggestions on a fully redundant pony bottle setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had one. Sold it. It does not stay in place very well.

Replaced it with a 13 cf on my back gas and a regular octo.

I have never used the Halcyon pony system so I cannot comment on that but I do have a halcyon eclipse BC with a rear mounted pony so I will provide some feedback.

From the tech divers I have heard from they prefer a slung pony or "stage" in front for best access. I have not heard a lot of PSDivers who like this idea but there is no reason why you could not try it. It seems like it would be in the way. There are a lot of examples on the web of a slung pony or stage bottle if you need some pictures.

Personally I have always had a rear mounted pony and all the divers on my team have rear mount pony's. I recently upgraded to a Quick Draw Pony bracket and I love it. I did a lot of research and found that this one fit the bill.

Our PSD team looks at the pony in various ways. First off we dive single diver so the pony is ours and ours alone. If we have a problem with our main reg we switch over to our pony which is always on. We have not standardized on a size but no one is smaller than 13 cu. ft. The safety diver has his own pony and if deployed will respond with a contingency bottle which is and AL80 with its own regulator in the event of an emergency. Our pony can either stay with our BC and we can deal with the emergency or if we have to we can bail out on our BC and take our pony with us. This is a very rare situation but also brings up the problem with integrated weights BC. That is a discussion for another day. Good luck with your search and please let us know what you end up with.

Mark D.

I can't really tell from that link what you're looking at but...

This is the best pony mount on the market
Welcome to TigerGear...the best Pony Bottle Rapid Mounting System on the planet!
(also the most expensive) but it'll last and never break. The most that will happen is that you might get a pin pulled out and lost by an over jealous diver - we've had 1 occurance of this in hundreds of evolutions. Get a couple of spare pins and you're set.

There are other mounts on the market which are nearly as good. I'd go with the metal ones as they are more stable although avoid the ones that are spot welded as they could potentially break. There are a number of fabric mounts that are very inexpensive and will work but the tank will flop around considerably
Also make sure that the mount will actually allow the pony to be removed by another diver in blackwater conditions - having a bailout is of no use if it can't be removed from the rig. The halcyon mount is designed for small suit gas cylinders for tech divers (6 or 9cuft) and is not meant to be a quick release u/w as we'd like for PSD

The reason why we don't like slung ponys like a tech diver would sling a stage is that most of the time we are trudging up the bottom which would place the stage right into the silt/muck/goo - not a happy place for a backup system. If you're only going to ever search mid-water in great vis (ie - carribean) then this might be an option.

The 13cuft is a good size for most PSD's and it will work to 60ft - anything deeper and you should start thinking of a 30cuft.

Don't worry about being able to remove the pony yourself - this is what the back-up diver will do. I haven't seen a system yet (back mount) where a diver could effectively and consistently do this without his trim being completely out of wack. If things get real bad, you're better off stripping the entire rig and pulling the pony then - should also be practiced in the pool.

hope that helps

my vote for PSD pony's is the quickdraw bracket with a 19. you wont even notice a 19 but for recreational and mild technical diving I sling a 40 for pony

I've used a 19 with a quick release tank strap mount for many years, never had any problem with it.

Tried to find a pic of the bracket I use but doesn't seem to be around any more.

As far as tank size, I would like to go middle of the road, maybe 13cf. I would like it to attach to my Halcyon BC in a way I could easly reach it, duh, yet not be too prone to snagging.
What do ya'll think about this one?
Octo's, Octopus, alternate air sources and spare air for scuba diving

My BC..
Halcyon: Eclipse Wings

Our call outs are to lakes and quarries with low viz.
Thanks for info,
Kug
Our team uses the Quickdraw bracket. It's easy to switch tanks on the surface or in the water. I use the bracket on a 19 and can switch with someone using a 30 or 40. Pull 1 pin and swap out tanks.
I found a pic of the Quickdraw bracket.
41585248-177x150-0-0.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom