Looking For Snow over Christmas (Trade)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becky you silly girl. Remember I am FROM Utah! There will be snow in Park City and it has great rental places. Call me or PM me and I can help with anything you need. There are lots of ski resorts where you can stay in a cabin like setting and there is a great place to take the boys tubing. It has a rope that pulls you up the hill and you sled down. Good Luck! :) Hey, by the way, I miss you guys!

I know I'm being funny know but when you say layer your clothes well that would be hard for us, I could see me telling the boys ok now put all 15 pairs of swimsuit shorts you have on and all 15 skin shirts on.... OK this should keep you warm LOL Guys/Gals we live in the Florida Keys we don't even own sweaters here.LOL

You need sweatshirts, lots. Gloves, scarves, snow pants, coats. Not the fleece ones. The coats that will repel water. Hats and a place with a hot tub :)

I lived in Colorado as a child and I would spend countless hours sledding and ice skating and dressing warm is the KEY. If you get cold nothing is fun anymore.

As far as what to wear everyone has been correct as to layering your clothing. Thermal underwear is a cheap investment to start as your base. Don't laugh but support panty hose are also a wonderful insulator from the cold. Then you want to layer w/ sweaters, sweat shirts ect. The key body parts in keeping you warm is your head, feet and hands. It is important to purchase ski socks and start layering the socks and have the ski socks as the last pair to put on your feet. Wear heavy waterproof mittens as gloves will not keep your fingers warm in very cold weather. Since you are not used to the cold, I would suggest ski masks (some come w/o or w/ the face and go below your neck) especially if you are going to be in areas w/ wind chill you do not want the kids to get frost bite. Any jacket that is water and wind proof is a good idea. Once you get wet you get cold FAST and the party will be over. If you need more information do not hesitate to ask me. Have fun and don't forget to make snow angels too!

Nearest airport to me is Denver International Airport or (DEN). And yes, air travel around the holidays isn't going to be cheap. We start planning our flights down to your neck of the woods in August/September.

yes its a big city.

If you have friends in Utah, Salt Lake is much smaller than Denver and getting to Park City is a really easy drive. Heck, I did my dive certification just outside of there at the Homestead Crater. Its a nice resort, with a hot springs dive at 92 degrees at the surface, 96 at 30 feet.

I wouldn't guarantee much snow anywhere in the west that early just yet. Unless you go way north. Whistler or Alaska.
I keep a close eye on the weather for the west in regards to snow in the west, and, it is anybody's guess right now.
Check out Whistler, B.C..... There are a lot of vacation properties there. If you post on one of the many sites that trade properties, I would bet you would get hits.
I have a place in the Eastern Sierras , and, would love to spend some time in the Keys. However, I am hoping for a white christmas of my own with the kids this year and will be staying there.
Good luck....

Hey everybody another question, I have been calling all over and no one will promise mother nature (I can understand that) but who knows their area better than the ones that have or do live there.

Question: Who knows that they are going to have snow for sure sometime during this time frame.
Dec 15th - Jan 1st. Christmas Break for the kids.
Of course I won't be staying that long I'm by far rich or anything. I think maybe 3 or 4 days tops with 2 of them being travel days. I can't afford to stay more than that because my budget is only somewhere between 1,500 to 2,000. and that does not go far.

Any good advice sure would help me right now. I can't go to Canada because I don't have passports for us.

Thank you for all your help, it has now become a quest for me, there has got to be a place that has snow that is not going to break the bank on us.

Thanks again
Becky

colorado. try posting on the rocky mountain oysters forum.

Thanks, looks like fly 1/2 there and drive the rest with rental car. Save's lots of money that way.

Careful with the driving if you're not used to slippery roads. There are times when chains are required on vehicles and we have yet to rent a vehicle that allows you to use them. Rent a 4-wheel drive vehicle at the least; skidding off a snow covered road into a Rocky Mountain ravine will really screw up your day if you live through it. I have some video at home of us driving around Lake Tahoe in early December one year, I'm glad my husband was driving. I don't mind no guard rails and drop-offs that are hundreds of feet on both sides of the road but crossing it in the snow...nerve racking. Research winter driving and make yourself a winter driving survival kit.

BTW, on that trip we headed over the pass to Reno. We had a 4-wheel drive vehicle and the police(?) were stopping everyone before the pass to make them put chains on or turn around. We didn't have chains but hubby's Ohio driver's license got us permission to go ahead (this was just snow, we drive on ice here). When we arrived in Reno we saw on the news that a blizzard was in the area we had just come from and it was so bad they had closed I-70.
Ber :lilbunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom