Looking for shore diving in South FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our family has decided our vacation this year should be at LBTS (and nearby) jus to experience the shore diving. It sounds relaxing and low key to not have to be at the boat dock by an exact time. I hope these are not redundant questions, but with two teenage kids that have only 20 hrs. experience, I feel they are necessary (ps I wouldn't ask but the awesomely famous Scuba Jenny will be on the SB trip to Bonaire when we are in town in June):

1) Do you recommend a guide for that first dive off LBTS?
2) Do tides matter at all?
3) Is there a "local's preference" dive shop recommendation for rental tanks.... and a flag :D? It's good to support local small business.
4) Would you suggest any other nearby shore dives that are in good shape for June 2024? We are staying near Las Olas beach and can drive either direction, except over water. We didn't get the add on submarine package from Avis.
5) What is with all the Youtube videos under Anglin pier? Is diving allowed under the pier since it is currently closed?

Thanks for reading. We will be diving starting June 18 if you are interested!

There's 2 places to shore dive in SE Florida, one you already know, the other, if you don't is in West Palm Beach and it's called the Blue Heron Bridge, that one is a decent dive and is very tide dependent. There are at least 2 dive shops nearby that will rent you the necessary gear including a flag.

LBTS isn't a fantastic dive, but that's what you trade off for not being on a boat schedule. Check out Gold Coast Scuba, they're close to LBTS and will rent you gear and give you all the information you need to dive the site. It will be good for one dive max, after that it's going to get boring...fast.

If it was me I'd go the charter boat route, it's just so much better. The boat crew will give you a briefing and drop you right on top of the site, no lugging gear and dealing with shore entries and possibly a long swim or walk back to your starting point.

You can do it fine by your self, however a local guide can be valuable for local knowledge of conditions, and finer points of entries, exits, some of the underwater features.

No

3) Is there a "local's preference" dive shop recommendation for rental tanks.... and a flag :D? It's good to support local small business.
Somebody previously mentioned Gold Coast. They are the closest to LBTS. YOU MUST HAVE A FLAG!!!! (if you hire a guide, they should have one)

4) Would you suggest any other nearby shore dives that are in good shape for June 2024? We are staying near Las Olas beach and can drive either direction, except over water. We didn't get the add on submarine package from Avis.
You can shore dive anywhere you can find a parking spot. Heck, if you have gear and close to where you're staying, dive off the beach there! Slightly north of Sunrise Blvd has super easy beach diving. Dania beach is another one, and of course Hollywood. Also, if its a bit too windy for beach, go north up to Phil Foster Park. Here is the tide table for there. Enter about an hour before high tide. There is a separate thread on SB about "the bridge" or you can youtube to your hearts content. Force E and PuraVida are both close for rentals and more information.

5) What is with all the Youtube videos under Anglin pier? Is diving allowed under the pier since it is currently closed?
The pier is closed for diving, though there is still plenty of people who dive it.. until a LEO kicks them out. Some days are better than others..

Thank you! Great advice. We do have Blue Heron/Phil Foster on the agenda. But now with your advice it sounds like a charter trip is a must do. I appreciate all the feedback.

For the record, Scuba_Jenny is an excellent guide and resource for local shore diving.

Agree that LBTS is groovy. The jaxx and the Dania boulders at Perry are solid, too just to have fun and look at marine life. The jaxx lately has had more life than the boulders.

Our family has decided our vacation this year should be at LBTS (and nearby) jus to experience the shore diving. It sounds relaxing and low key to not have to be at the boat dock by an exact time. I hope these are not redundant questions, but with two teenage kids that have only 20 hrs. experience, I feel they are necessary (ps I wouldn't ask but the awesomely famous Scuba Jenny will be on the SB trip to Bonaire when we are in town in June):

Thanks for reading. We will be diving starting June 18 if you are interested!
I'll add to some of the great advice others have given you.

For LBTS, I think it's best to just consult with a local dive shop and get a guide your first time. The combination of local knowledge + logistical help will be tremendously beneficial. I won't go too deep into it, but there are some logistical p.i.t.a's diving LBTS. Most notably, you will need to rent all your equipment, haul it to Datura Avenue, figure out parking (which can be a mess there), etc. You will also need weights and a dive flag, both of which I'm assuming you will not be packing in your suitcase on vacation :) I do recommend Gold Coast Scuba. All services can be booked on line and they have an unusually large selection of equipment options.

If you are going to do Blue Heron, consider a guide from one of the local shops. Unlike LBTS, tides are a major factor at this site, and you need to time them correctly. There's also some potentially tricky navigation around active boating channels. It's not a huge deal, and I do not intend to scare you, but it's just something new for a first-timer. Again, you will need a dive flag and all your regular equipment for this site.

But, yes, do, indeed, also book a boat dive somewhere. Lots of options close to where you are staying in Las Olas or you can take teh short dive up to Pompano. (Check out the link in my signature for an overview of diving in the area)

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom