Looking for recommendation for Mid February dives.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morg59

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
I want to plan a trip to Hawaii for some diving during the middle of February. I am not sure what islands have the best diving opportunities for that time of the year. My wife and I are both new having logged 17 dives each at this time. We are looking to try to keep the cost down some so we do not need anything too extravagant. I think the first step would be to it down to what island, then look at who to book with for the actual dives. We visited Kauai in October and really enjoyed the diving there. Where else should we look?

Girlfriend, myself and two other ladies will be spending the last two weeks on the Big Island. As a minimum, I intend to do a two tank boat dive as well as the two night dives (Manta and the black dive). We were fortunate enought to also secure a cabin for three days and with the rental came free air, weights and shore diving guide services. It will be our first time there.

We've only done one dive trip to the Big Island and it was great, fantastic diving and the night dive with Mantas was truly a memorable experience and it would be nice to head to the tropics in winter. I'd love to go back to Hawaii.

Just to mention, we were there in mid-April and the water temps were 75F to 78F which is okay but a little chilly IMO (I'm a warm-water wimp!) so I am guessing that it will be a little colder in mid-February. Everyone's tolerance to cold varies but I just wanted to let you know so that you can plan appropriately.

Jan and Feb are my two favorite months to dive. True it does rain a bit and the water temps are chilly but often time ocean conditions here on the south shore of Oahu are fantastic! Tons of wrecks and reefs to explore and occasional sightings of whales, dolphins and mantas. Let us know if you have questions about diving on Oahu.

Mahalo!

G

Can't tell you which island is best as I've only dove Oahu. I can highly recommend Gabe Scotti and Kaimana Divers if you do decide on Oahu. They'll quickly make you feel like the Nacho 1 is your Hawaiian home.

Scotti,
Are 3mil wetsuits warm enough for that time of year? Also what recommendations do you have for a place to stay nearby? I would also like to inquire about a navigation course during our stay.

Thanks for the info but our plans are now changed to Mexico due to a great deal on a flight to cancun that I found.

Back
Top Bottom