Looking for recomendations for thermal protection-High Springs, Fl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a drysuit and probably a total of about 2 dives in so I was told it would not be a good idea to do the course in it (even if it is 8 months away). Maybe I should just drive down there one weekend and try it out.

I have a drysuit and probably a total of about 2 dives in so I was told it would not be a good idea to do the course in it (even if it is 8 months away). Maybe I should just drive down there one weekend and try it out.
8 months is an eternity to learn a dry suit. Doug and Mer both offer dry suit classes over a weekend, if I were you I would contact them pre fundies to take one if you're struggling on your own.

I cannot imagine taking fundies in a wet suit. When I worked in a corporate training center, we were anal about maintaining specific temperatures in classrooms because people who are uncomfortable learn a lot less. If you're paying for fundies, might as well set yourself up for success.

Being that I was one of those that said dive wet I will chime in. When you said Florida I assumed South Florida. High Springs, start diving that Dry Suit and use it in the class. By the end of the class you will have no problems. I will still advise not to use doubles though, stick with getting your rec pass first.

Spending all day in Blue Grotto you will be glad you have the dry suit.

Well this presents a whole new set of logistical challenges...one drysuit for both of us and if going dry I would need more lift to overcome the extra weight...and while I would be fine donating the one suit to my wife so she is comfortable I honestly don't think she is going to be willing to practice that much with it between now and then.

How deep are the dives typically for this? I've seen videos of this course and some are done in a pool.

You can always ask your instructor for recommendations ;-)

Many people take Fundies in High Springs in wetsuits. Generally, I recommend at least a 5mm (for those who don't get cold easily) and 7mm for most. Hood is always a great idea to at least have available. Especially in the summer, many students find this comfortable. Keep in mind I structure the break time during Fundamentals differently when I have students in doubles, drysuits going for tech pass than I do for single tank divers. So no, I don't keep wetsuit divers in the water for 3 hours straight. ;-)

Also learning a drysuit is easier, faster, and less to form bad habits once you have the benefit of the buoyancy, stability, and other foundation skills you'll learn in GUE Fundamentals.

You can always ask your instructor for recommendations ;-)......

That is ridiculous, never ask your instructor, go to the internet, then show up for the class with all the internet recommendations and make the instructor earn their pay by having to spend the first day fixing those internet recommendations......

I did my Full Cave in North Florida wearing a 7 mm. I almost froze, and this was when I had 15 lb of extra fat coverage. A hooded vest helped a bit, but not completely. I'm pretty sure I was mildly hypothermic, as I ended up going to bed at 7 PM each night under a pile of blankets. Nowadays, I wear a drysuit with a thin wicking layer and Arctic undergarments, and I am comfortable on my dives. I don't wear a hood, but I think I might start wearing a thin one as my dives get longer.

You can always ask your instructor for recommendations ;-)

I guess I should do that Mer but I wanted to give her at least a one day break from the 10,000 questions I am asking her even though she has been more then helpful in responding :wink:

if you're taking Fundies I would imagine you should probably be in a drysuit, whole ability to use steel bottles and what not.... If I were int he water the length you're going to be, I'd be in a drysuit. 4th Element Arctic would be the commercial recommendation, REI Heavyweight Polartec will work and then a fleece vest over that. You can always take some off, but once you start going hypothermic, you're on a slippery slope that takes days to recover from. I would not go in without at least a 5mm hood for that amount of in water time.

My normal "light dives" there are about 2 hours in the water in a 5mm with a 5mm hooded vest and that takes its toll after a day or two. That's also with a significant amount of kicking, from what I understand with fundies, you'll be doing a lot of trying to not move while underwater, as well as a lot of in water debriefing, and that will suck the heat out of you wicked quick. I prefer to be wet, and I limit my in water time during the summer while wet. Once the weather cools off to the point that I won't be sweating before I put my suit on, I'll go back to drysuit and then I'll be in REI Heavyweight Polartec, with a pretty thick Polartec vest on top of that with good ski socks on my feet. No gloves, but a 7mm drysuit hood.

How deep are the dives typically for this? I've seen videos of this course and some are done in a pool.
The open water dives are pretty shallow, it's not the depth that's gonna get you (if you're thinking of thermoclines and such) but the time in the water. Days 1 and 2 you'll feel fine in a thick wetsuit but 3,4,5 are pretty miserable in clammy neoprene coupled with your progressively lower energy reserves.
The other thing you might notice is that once you get the hang of the buoyancy, trim and kicks even a little bit, you'll be moving a lot less in the water than you usually do. And that wetsuit you thought you were comfy in suddenly feels a whole lot colder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom