Looking for old Skin Diver and other magazines (For archive)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know the early issues of Skin Diver have been scanned up to the sixties and maybe the seventies. They were OCR processed to be character readable so the issues could be searched rather than being just images of the text. They were all put up on the Web for a period on a password protected site. However the copyright issue reared its head and the info was taken down.

I am going to be scanning a good number of Skin Diver and other older dive magazines soon.

I have them in hand.

I will post them, and there will not be a password.

I am going to cut the bindings off soon for the ones that have glue based bindings.

The magazines that are staple bound will have the staples removed before scan and it will be less destructive.

TTFN

I have every issue from the 60’s.
January 1959 through December 1969 (11 years)
They could be scanned pretty easy since most are already split and cataloged in three ring binders.
I had thought about selling them if someone wants to make a reasonable offer.

Thank you.

One request though. Could you fill in the "Date Published" field on the ones you uploaded? YYYY-MM format if it gives you a choice. That will make it a lot easier when searching for answers to a whole range of questions.

I'd be happy to do it for you if you want to PM me the login info. I'd let you know when it's done, so you can change the password.

Great resource, thanks @scubascan and other contributors to the magazine scanning project

I know the early issues of Skin Diver have been scanned up to the sixties and maybe the seventies. They were OCR processed to be character readable so the issues could be searched rather than being just images of the text. They were all put up on the Web for a period on a password protected site. However the copyright issue reared its head and the info was taken down.
That's one of the great things about uploading to archive.org. It's a library with a specific mission to preserve digital material which both bolsters Fair Use claims and means they don't automatically roll over when someone makes a copyright claim.

I use them as backup for my Mares manuals site since you can request that archive.org archive specific pages on a site.

Thanks to a SB user who gave me 4 boxes full of magazines, and thanks to a friend that let me use his scanner for a few months. And a lot of scanning....

Drum roll

(Note, I did not scan the first few from the UK -- those were pulled in from a general collection now that there is a Diving Magazine collection.)
Great job, scubascan. An amazing amount of work. Glad to see those boxes of magazines put to a good use.

Do you have any idea who owns the copyrights?
The short answer is no, but with the publishing company Petersen long gone and most of the contributors from the 50's, 60's and 70's having passed on there may be no clear ownership of the material. As every year passes and the magazine fades from memory I doubt that copyright will be an issue now unless lawyers want to find/make some work. In its last couple of decades the magazine got more into dive travel and tourism and abandoned its spearfishing roots which caused it to lose many of its early readers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom