Looking for new shore dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

angel in the sky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey...
we head up to Brockville just about every weekend from Laval and we are looking to find something a little more exciting and less crowded than the Conestoga and the Rothesay.
We have the dive Ontario guide and we're looking for some new sites that might be found in the area.
One that we haven't done is at Rockport and we're thinking of exploring that this weekend..
We are both in doubles and are pretty good divers. We are up for any new challenge...
Any ideas??

I don't really recommend shore diving in Rockport at the moment. There are many boats in the water, including the 1000 Islands tour boats. They actually have a sign up saying, "No Diving." Jeff at the Rockport Dive Centre is wonderful about allowing people to dive off of his dock, but again, it isn't recommended this time of year. He also does inexpensive charters out to the Kinghorn (not far from the shore line), so that is always an option.

Diving from shore in Rockport is usually done before the cruise line starts up in the Spring, and when it stops in the fall.

Another site to check out is Centeen Park. Since you are in doubles, it is possible to swim out to the Gaskin from there. There is usually a bit of current as you near the wreck, but it's always a fun dive.

Single tankers can also dive at Centeen Park, but I do not recommend swimming to the wreck on a single tank. There is a "STOP" sign in place where the line to the wreck begins.

Also keep in mind that this is a virtual overhead environment, as there are boats and jet skis around.

Hope this helps!

Have you ever considered Lock 21 in Long Sault? This is a dive I have ALWAYS wanted to do but have never made the trek East to do it. I think it would be a great dive and maybe something you can consider.

HeHe.. Yeah, Lock 21 can be fun. Be prepared for ripping current! :) There are pull lines though, so if you can't swim it, you can at least avoid being ripped off of it!

Done all the above. I was aware of the boating in Rockport and will be going there this fall when its calm... Lock 23 & 21 I have done many many times... its all that is interesting and a good place for drills...Thanks for the help :)

I think the Gaskin off of Brockville is a shore dive. Surface swim out there (there is a current), hit it up, end your dive at whatever end of the boat is closest to shore. Remember to get an azimuth back to the pier in case you can't find the line. Yeah, there is boat traffic all over the place.

In downtown Clayton, NY I did a dive off the pier there. A few bikes, a shopping cart or two, and other random crap. The only real fun thing is bringing the treasures up to the kids that are watching you and then you get to ride it all back in the water. It's no more than 30' deep. Next to the Key Bank on the main street is a little grassy area. You can walk to the water there and swim west. I did this as a night dive and I saw at least 15 Pike, all pretty good sized.

Everyone needs to get this book, by the way. It is a gold mine.

Amazon.com: The Great Lakes Diving Guide (Shipwreck Books): Cris Kohl: Books

I have the 2nd edition. I have been told it has a lot more in it. The link is for the first edition.

Chris Kohl has written a whole bunch of books on scuba diving in the Great Lakes area. Search for him.

I have the guide and do the Gaskin almost every weekend, most shouldn't try doing this dive unless in doubles... its a long swim... I guess I was looking for something that not everyone did all the time... I don't mind diving closer to Kingston...just looking for new spots...
The dive shop I dive out of organizes at the end of the summer for Project Aware a clean up day at Centeen park... its pretty fun to bring up bikes and stuff and well its to keep the beach clean...
thanks for the help guys :)

I think the Gaskin off of Brockville is a shore dive. Surface swim out there (there is a current), hit it up, end your dive at whatever end of the boat is closest to shore. Remember to get an azimuth back to the pier in case you can't find the line. Yeah, there is boat traffic all over the place.

You alluded to it, but since there may be people reading this without much experience of the area, I'll say it outright: Because of the large amount of boat traffic (it's immediately down river from a marina), many locals recommend NOT swimming on the surface, and that it should be treated as having restricted overhead. The shape of the shoreline means that much of the small boat traffic going up and down river passes directly in between the wreck and shore. Also, it's not uncommon to hear about seadoos using dive flags as a slalom course even in the 20' OW training areas closer to shore, but what else is new.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom