Looking for new ideas for dive drills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trevordog

New
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm looking for some help with our team. I am the dive operations coodinator for our county dive team located in central NJ. We have been in existance for about six years and have trained hard and I am very proud of the team and their ability. Lately it seems the drills have become "same old same old" and seem to lack the excitement we used to have. We tend to do the same search pattern drills, recovery drills, etc. I am just looking for some ideas from fellow PSD's as to what you do. We tend to follow Team Lifegaurd's approach to doing things, but also train with DRI, and are open to anything that will make us better PSD's. Any posts would be appreciated or feel free to send me an e-mail. trevordog285@yahoo.com

Thanks and be safe!
Trevor Oldenburg

While the experienced troops prepare their expert answers, I'll give some ideas based off other stuff I've seen from other areas. Remember that I'm brand new at this so you need to make sure it's right for you.

1. Offer to train as a demo for a school or public organization. Nothing keeps you on your toes like the fear of looking stupid. :)

2. See if a local dive shop or equipment vendor will let you "demo" new hardware. It's fun to have new toys...err...Public Safety training gear.

3. Have the search be for something worth finding like a six pack of soda. Or whatever. :)

4. Involve some bystanders. Have them be "witnesses" that need to be interviewed, pushy news people, and tearful family members. Provide some snacks and discussion afterwards and be sure to thank them while proudly displaying your team's insignia.

5. Use a lite grade booby trap. For example, if there is a task that need a gentle touch rig up a popper or some loud noise-maker if the item gets jostled too much.

6. If you can, very politely and with respect seek pre-event pictures of those who have been recovered. Not sure if this is a good idea but sometimes it's good to be reminded of why we train.

ciao!

leam

trevordog:
Hey Guys, I'm looking for some help with our team. I am the dive operations coodinator for our county dive team located in central NJ. We have been in existance for about six years and have trained hard and I am very proud of the team and their ability. Lately it seems the drills have become "same old same old" and seem to lack the excitement we used to have. We tend to do the same search pattern drills, recovery drills, etc. I am just looking for some ideas from fellow PSD's as to what you do. We tend to follow Team Lifegaurd's approach to doing things, but also train with DRI, and are open to anything that will make us better PSD's. Any posts would be appreciated or feel free to send me an e-mail. trevordog285@yahoo.com

Thanks and be safe!
Trevor Oldenburg
Here is one to see how well everyone knows their gear.

In a dark room with no access to light have the diver assemble and dawn their gear, from bag to dive ready. Time it. Do that a few times and the times will drop dramatically.

Then when everyone thinks their good at it do it again with people screaming at them. The times will go right back up there.

Start out with the gear as one normally stores it in their rig.

Gary D.

trevordog:
Hey Guys, I'm looking for some help with our team. I am the dive operations coodinator for our county dive team located in central NJ. We have been in existance for about six years and have trained hard and I am very proud of the team and their ability. Lately it seems the drills have become "same old same old" and seem to lack the excitement we used to have.

The best thing that I could recommend is to make black out mask covers for the divers and do the same things you have been in the pool. When I introduced that to our personnel, I received comments back as to how much that changed the training. Goes along with what Gary's comment was about the dark room. Blindness changes everything.

Good luck.

Dan

PWCPD Diver:
Entanglement training is a must!

I second that, as well as general diver rescue. Hopefully you'll never need it, but at least you've trained for it.

When planning the entanglement drills, start in the pool, eyes closed. Transition into the blacked out mask. On an actual op we had, one of my divers swam into a throw net that would have covered a mid size car touching the ground all the way around. Normally, that shouldn't be a problem with appropriately trained personnel. When playing tie up in the pool, it's a good idea to use nets if there's a chance the divers will encounter them in the real world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom