Looking for new dive location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

salunra

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all!!

The past two years we have dove in Bonaire. We stayed at the Carib Inn and enjoyed the laid back, relaxed shore diving that bonaire has to offer.

Well, we're trying to plan a trip for this July, and I was wondering where you folks would recommend we try next.

Thanks,
Moon

If you enjoyed Bruces place, you might also like LCBR, Little Cayman doesn't offer shore diving like Bonaire, but the diving is really good. For a bit less money, you might try the Divi on Cayman Brac, then you could dive both Brac and Little Cayman. Both these islands are nice and quiet.
For more ideas, how about Turks & Caicos, there are allot of restaurants more like Bonaire on Provo. The big difference for you would be that the ride to the dive sites is 45 min. with Caicos Adventures, IMHO the best op in the area.
Coz has planty of restaurants but it is not a quiet island, it's more of a party island. The diving is excellent but you might have trouble with Montezumas revenge which has been a big factor in our decision not to go back....along with some other problems we had.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Have you considered Roatan. It is very laid back not much to do but dive dive dive.

CoCoView offers the best shore diving on the island. Right off shore is the Prince Albert shipwreck to explore. There is also two walls beyond the shipwreck.

The resort is quite and has cabanas over the water. You have a screened wall that looks out over the water. they also have rooms with AC as well. Check them out. Bill & Evelyn Evans will treat you like family. http://www.cocoviewresort.com/

parrotheaddiver:
Have you considered Roatan. It is very laid back not much to do but dive dive dive.

CoCoView offers the best shore diving on the island. Right off shore is the Prince Albert shipwreck to explore. There is also two walls beyond the shipwreck.

The resort is quite and has cabanas over the water. You have a screened wall that looks out over the water. they also have rooms with AC as well. Check them out. Bill & Evelyn Evans will treat you like family. http://www.cocoviewresort.com/

Hi!

You would recommend CocoView over St. Anthony's Resort? Ive seen a lot of recommendations for both, and was wondering what causes you to favor Coco?

Thanks,
Moon

salunra:
Hi!

You would recommend CocoView over St. Anthony's Resort? Ive seen a lot of recommendations for both, and was wondering what causes you to favor Coco?

Thanks,
Moon

I have stayed at Anthonys Key Resort twice. It is a nice resort not any shore diving to speak of. It is more family oriented (kids). The have a dolphin encounter where you can swim with the dolphins and horse back riding some of the cruisers that visit the island end up there.

The diving on the North side of the island IMO is not as good as the south side which is where CoCo View is located plus the "Front Yard" as it is known is right in front of the resort it goes from a few inches to the deep blue where the two walls Newmans wall and CoCo View wall are plus the Price Albert.

You could spend the day in the front yard and still never see everything lots of small critters in the shallows.

The resort itself is on a islet by itself and the only way to get to it is by a short 5 min boat ride. It's feels very homey Bill & Evelyn the owners live on site and are present everyday and make you feel like family. There are a lot of repeat visitors that go more than once a year it is a definite favorite for many of us who want to dive our brains out.

We will be returning there this July we are counting down the days. Their web site has a discussion board that you can scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on next page until you get to the 5th page. On that page will be article written by Doc who knows every inch of the Front Yard ready over his articles it is very interesting.

salunra:
Hi!

You would recommend CocoView over St. Anthony's Resort? Ive seen a lot of recommendations for both, and was wondering what causes you to favor Coco? oon

Anthony's Key Resort (AKR) and CoCoView Resort (CCV) are both on the island of Roatan in the Bay Islands.

The key differences:

AKR is on the North side of the island. This puts it in the shadow of the prevailing calm breezes, but directly in the path of any real weather that comes through, as a "Norther".

CCV is on the S side, where the steady breezes knock the everpresent Caribbean No-See-Ums back off of CCV's own private ten acre sandy key. There is no standing water near CCV and there is no one there besides the staff and guests. No one.

AKR features a lovely restaurant with wait staff. You have to climb the 65+ steps 3x a day, but first you'll need to catch the water taxi over to the mainside from the key where your cabana is located.

CCV has Cabanas and Bungalows situated out and over an active reef with constantly flowing water. You will see Spotted Eagle Rays and baby Nurse Sharks patrolling just below your screened "window wall" that overlooks the two walls and 140 intact freighter, about 300' out in front. CCV allows you to serve yourself off of the serving line, many varieties are served. I find the food to be equal at both places, but at CCV you're serving yourself- this it's faster but lacking in presentation. When you put your own food on a plate, it looks that way :wink:

AKR has some cabanas that are near the ocean, and some on the backside of the tidal basin. They allow for shore diving off of the ocean side of the key 1500-2100 hrs only. They have essentialy no shore diving, at least when compared to CCV.

The walls start on the S side off of CCV very close to shore. The shore dive is 24/7 and many many people go there just to shore dive. CCV has 4 absolutely custom designed 55' dive boats, designed expressly for divers on the S side. They are known for their reliability, especialy when compared to any other Roatan op. They feature camera only tables 3x6' lined with i/o carpet, no slosh camera 3x3x3' tanks, rear flush with ocean boat deck fan tail, two side exits 4' wide, one center cut moon well to return via a ladder from underneath- not affected by wave action. Their staff is exceptionaly long term and the dive shop, Dockside Dive Center has a photo pro of serious reknown. He operates the E6 processing that most of the other resorts trans-ship their film to for processing.

AKR has ProDive 42's.

CCV has four bays (handicapped accessable, as is all of the resort upon request) that lead to your assigned dive boat. Your gear is always loaded aboard unless you signify that you want it left in the dive gear room for shore diving. It is common to have no more than 12-15 people on any 55' dive boat, most of the length being diver space, unlike a ProDive. It is common to have no diver closer than 6' on either side of your area.

AKR keeps all of your gear at the mainside dive location. You will have to arrange in advance for shore dive and transport. Your gear is kept inaccessable to others- as many Roatan residents walk thru AKR as a path on their way home.

AKR has the Dolphin Institute. The Dolphin Encounter/Snorkel allows for greater interaction at lower cost than the Dolphin Dive. AKR is 20 minutes ride NW of the Airport, near the West End where there are many bars and two good restaurants (Garden of Eatin, Argentine Grill) but you'll need a cab. To say that AKR is nearer to the party life of Roatan is kinda like making a silk purse out of a sows ear. Go to roatan for the macro critters, if you want to party, try Cozumel.

CCV is located much farther East, 20 minutes from the Airport. They will ferry you over to the landing and have a cab waiting there for you. Many folks dine at the French Harbour Yacht Club or Romeos- I go occasionaly to the West End to the Argentine Grille. Some folks spend their non diving off gassing day at AKR doing the Dolphin Snorkel and Power Shopping Tour. It is also located 5 minutes away from the Wiakula Shark Dive, another dive op that can be accessed from CCV for a morning dive.

AKR meets you upon arrival after baggage. They drop you off in front of the airport and you get your bags off of the truck. This may or may not be the case each time.

CCV meets you before customs, you identify your bags and go to the CoCo View for dinner. Your bags follow. On the way back, you go inside the terminal and your bags are piled up by the security check. You never touch your bags, see a passport agent, you never have wet bags from uncovered trips in the rain.

I have been diving with every major op on Roatan, and looked at the remainder. I have never spent a night at anything than CCV, but I've had a look see at most all of the rooms.

This will be my 24th (?) trip to Roatan. Wander on over to the "Group Trips" section here at ScubaBoard and look at our May 15th trip. It's muy cheap. It will tell you more about what's so good about CCV.

Both resorts have their fans, some even like Fantasy Island (FIBR), but talk to folks who have been to them all- see where they return to.

Not that I'm biased. :D

Thanks for all the information, you have definately swayed me. :) I'll be sending a week at Cocoview in July.

Thanks again,
Moon

parrotheaddiver:
Thanks you always say so much better than me. :07:

That's cause you always have a regulator in your mouth.

Bonaire is hard to beat- all the great diving, the shore diving, the good and unusual restaurants, the nice people, the Dutch beer... but Salunra, I think youre going to like Roatan in July!

salunra:
Thanks for all the information, you have definately swayed me. :) I'll be sending a week at Cocoview in July.

Thanks again,
Moon

When are you going in July we will be there 7/3-7/10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom