Looking for my personal best diving spot June/July-Caribbean/C.A./Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The San Blas Islands off Panama are truly unspoiled. Only local Kuna Yala. Only dive operator I know is Jimmy who as dive operation near Nombre de Dios. Jimmy, if he is still running his operation, has many pristine sites off his coast. Very rustic and beautiful diving IMHO. His website is www.carribeanjimmys.com Good Luck.

Diversteve, how would you rate the diving in costa rica compared to these other destinations were talking about? I know most CR diving is in the Pacific, not Caribbean, but just curious about a comparison of megafauna one might be able to see...
No idea, I've never been there - or really considered it.

Hi Roatan man..you supplied a few great responses recently to my post about finding the best diving I can in the Caribbean and central America..recommending Tobago..been working on it and thinking about and have decided against Tobago, even though it does have a culture I'd like to explore, I'm opting for something a little easier...one part of your post you said:

.If you want literally on-the-edge places (but still in the specified geographic zone) , Yes- check out Corn, Guanaja, and Cayos Cochinos. They have resident divingservices, but getting there can be a hump, not impossible.

Im now leaning towards the Bay of Islands...so Now that I have narrowed it down as you suggested..can you give me your advice on the specifics of visiting? how best to dive and stay on Guanaja, and Cayos Cochinos? You also mentioned the south Shore of RoAtan..what makes it so special there? My only parameter traveling, staying and diving in the area would be COST...LOoking for budget places to stay.. I'm not a resort type person...I'd rather pay less on accommodation and more on diving...I'd consider a liveaboards if if it was a good value...
im tired of researching and would
love to firm up my plans now!
thanks in advance for any advice you can give...

Im now leaning towards the Bay of Islands...so Now that I have narrowed it down as you suggested..can you give me your advice on the specifics of visiting? how best to dive and stay on Guanaja, and Cayos Cochinos?
Guanaja and Cayos - a good place to start is with Roatan Charter. On Guanaja, you're going to have to use your imagination if looking to find any sort of "island culture" available to the visiting diver. Cayos is so small that you will be exposed to "whatever" is there.

You also mentioned the south Shore of RoAtan..what makes it so special there?

Due to your other parameters, the South side of Roatan- what many agree to be an area that is unique within the Caribbean- this will be unavailable to you. It is only served by AI's. This particular area runs from French Harbour on down East to First Bight. It is a continuous vertical wall that begins within 5' of the surface and drops straight down to a 90' sand shelf. Because of it's positioning, it is bathed in Sunlight most of the day. The equation of Sunlight + shallow = life has it's mathematical proof here. It is crawling with macro critters, most overlooked by the beginner diver.

Cost? Don't be so cost conscious that you spend more money in an effort to save money. You've decidedly been around the world, so I write this for the many who are often mislead by the low ala-carte day-dive op places and the lure of guest house pricing. Depending upon if you really will want 3 and more dives in a day, at least on Roatan, AI's make mathematical sense.

Your search for "real island culture" will not be fulfilled during any visit to Roatan. About the closest you could come would be to live in a rented room in the Garifuna community of Punta Gorda, but the only dive op (Ben's) that was even anywhere close was washed to sea in 1998. This is the only real indigenous culture that you could begin to penetrate.

The "other" island culture would be the landowners, the people who look and sound like Cayman islanders. Your likelihood of even meeting one of these people is fairly remote. Most of what most people think is, or what otherwise passes for "island culture" revolves around drinking and getting social with local DM's (most imported from the mainland or Europe). You could listen to the local FM station but it will sound like any big inner city station in the US. If you do locate some "island culture", take a snapshot of it and post it on the web.

Go to Roatan and the Bay Islands to dive and dive a lot. Roatan is slowly becoming Caymanized via the Cozumel route. Why hell, they even have two locations for Bojangles Chicken, a 4 place Dopplemeyer Ski Lift (!) and a Wendy's and Applebees. There are also local restaurants that are very inviting- but my point again is- there really is no island culture (in the classical sense) available to you. What there is- it's fading fast.

1) best diving possible..not over fished, good visibility, palagics, good season for big stuff-whales,whale sharks, other sharks?? Healthy reef.. Good dive outfitters that are safe and reliable. Good weather in June/ july.
Old Providence has all of the above except the large animals, reef sharks are a commonly sighted, Weather is Tropical in June and July you can expect rain almost daily but usually doesn't last. Hurricanes are a possibility but OPI is just out south of the hurricane belt.

2) somewhat remote and non-touristy..off the beaten path as much as possible. don't want resorts or any cruise ship destination area..don't want to be one of 100 dive boats to dive an area a day..etc..
3) vibrant local island culture.. I love immersing myself into other cultures.. Not into Americanized places..
This is defiantly OPI

4) not expensive... I'm not into resorts.. I like staying in budget places or with locals.. Im on a budget so I'd rather spend less money on accommodation so I can spend more diving!
help!
ne_nau.gif

Price in OPI are reasonable, the problem is getting there, it can be costly.

A recent post about OPI
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/tr...e-trip-report-old-providence-providencia.html

and on Wetpixel: Trip Report: Diving Old Providence (Providencia) - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

Or for the full story see
Providencia 2012

Just spent 12 years in the Caribbean. Your destination does not exist in countries friendly to US citizens. But just as easily assessable, and meets all your needs is the Azores from July to September. Email me if you want more info and how to get there cheap from the States. bentdiver@live.com

My only parameter traveling, staying and diving in the area would be COST...LOoking for budget places to stay.. I'm not a resort type person...I'd rather pay less on accommodation and more on diving...I'd consider a liveaboards if if it was a good value...
im tired of researching and would
love to firm up my plans now!
thanks in advance for any advice you can give...

may i ask what is your idea of "budget places"...including flight, accommodation and food what is your price range that you are willing to spend, and what length of time you're looking to go for?

i have a couple of examples but i would like to get a feel for what your needs are before i make my suggestions

Hello Alexis,

We dive the Midriff Islands at the Sea of Cortez from late June and until the end of October. Rocio del Mar Liveaboard departs from Puerto Peñasco Son. Mx., we ask you to fly to Phoenix Az, a shuttle will pick you up at the airport and drive you 3.5 hrs to the boat, they charge $100.00 R/T per person. We have been so fortunate to snorkel with whale sharks and sperm whales on every trip to the Midriff Islands.

Please contact our office if you have any further questions.

Wanphattkat - I have dove in several of the same places as you, most recently was PNG, and oh boy do I want to go back - loved it! Living in Colorado, it is sometimes easier to get to the South Pacific than the Caribbean; However we have really tried over the last few years to discover the Caribbean and Latin American areas. I have a similar ‘want’ list to you, no cruise ships, not a backpacker joint – mid to high end accommodations, unspoiled, rich in culture, great diving, and inexpensive sure is nice lol - I am longing to locate that little undiscovered gem. And maybe the search is what is the most fun!

I did discover an amazing place last year, it was not exactly the easiest to get to, but not bad either. It is Bequia - located in the Grenadines. Wow, the four of us came up from our first dive and all agreed the reefs looked healthy and we had made the correct travel decision. I have dove in CR, Roaton, Belize, Mexico, and if I was to do it again would choose a live aboard for those areas. Those places are just too easy to get to and over-dove IMO. Although the Turneffe Islands in Belize were nice. The reason I stumbled upon your post is I was searching for info on Providencia - a Colombian Island. American Airlines and United both have reasonable airfares to San Andreas - it seems totally doable and completely unspoiled. This may be our next dive trip location. Good luck on your search, and let us know what you ultimately decide and how it went!

The reason I stumbled upon your post is I was searching for info on Providencia - a Colombian Island. American Airlines and United both have reasonable airfares to San Andreas - it seems totally doable and completely unspoiled. This may be our next dive trip location.

Where2next
If you have any questions about Providence and or getting there feel free to contact me I am there a couple times a year.
Ciao
Tad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom