Looking for Lift Bag Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll soon be in need of a 50# lift bag for my AOW. I've looked at two online so far... the OxyCheq and the XS Scuba. Does anyone have any experience with either bag? Is there another one I should consider? (I'm thinking of the DiveRite one perhaps.)

TIA! :)

I'll soon be in need of a 50# lift bag for my AOW. I've looked at two online so far... the OxyCheq and the XS Scuba. Does anyone have any experience with either bag? Is there another one I should consider? (I'm thinking of the DiveRite one perhaps.)

You need to decide if you want an open bag (or semi open) vs a closed circuit bag.

You need to decide what size you need. (This may be dictated by course requirements so check with your instructor)

Once you make these two choices the bags available today in each category are all pretty much the same regardless of the source.

Tobin

I use the diverite on my plate and wing with the sleeve. Works very well. It is not however a heavy duty bag for actual salvage. it will be more than adequate though for S&R dive on AOW. Although I'm surprised the instructor is not providing it for you to use. If you wan t a heavy duty one check out the subsalve bags. I have a 50 and 100. These are heavy duty, open bottom with dump valves. They do not pack up as small as the DR though. I roll mine and when they're needed bungee em to the bottom of the plate. One nice thing about them also is they can serve double duty as dry bags. I paid 40 bucks or so for the 50 and got the 100 for less from ebay. I can't recall the guy who sells these new that I got mine from. If i remember I'll PM. Found him thru ebay. He sells them new at really good prices. I believe you can also go to the Subsalve website and buy direct.

I agree with Jim Lap. If you do not have an ongoing need for a lift bag ask you instructor if he/she is providing one for the course. My instructor provided one.

The XS Scuba bag is great bag. Very well made and high quality. It'd be hard to beat!

I carry the Dive Rite #100 with me all the time at the back of my BCD at the bottom of my tank! It works great, although I would also recommend the XS SCUBA!

Thx for the replies, everyone! weaponeer, I spoke with an experienced diver friend last night who suggested something similar. Thx, I'll look into it and probably wind up going that route.

What ... no one uses the net bag with a plastic trash bag inside anymore? Come on ... are the tire intertube? Are the plastic liquid container barrel (cleaned) with the bottom cut out and a off/on value at the top?

The barrels are great for lifting small items like a 40ft boat!

As an alternative to a dedicated lift bag, which chances are you won't use very often unless you intend to salvage, you may want to go with a large SMB that provides lift capacity. Once you're done with the course, you'll have a valuable safety tool to carry all the time. I use an SMB that has 30 lbs lift capacity. Check it out here - Sure-Sight 6-Foot Multi-Function Signal Tube - Yellow - eBay (item 7203410174 end time Mar-27-08 07:40:19 PDT) . I caary it with me on every dive I make.

Oceanic also made a nice one I wonder if it's still available?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom