Looking for LED's that will attach to a mask or a good LED flashlight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've modded a couple of Xenon Q40's to take $10 240-lumen LED modules (Regular eLEDs are 67 lumen AFAIK) from dealextreme.com. 20 minutes of grinding work per light. 480 lumen attached to your mask is sort of fun but will leave your buddy blind. Batteries last for approx. 2 hours.

I've modded a couple of Xenon Q40's to take $10 240-lumen LED modules (Regular eLEDs are 67 lumen AFAIK) from dealextreme.com.

What modules from DX are you using, and can you describe the grinding you do in more detail?

Thanks,

Henrik

What are the thoughts on lights attached to masks?

It seems like it would be a good idea?

I plan on doing a night dive or two when I visit cozumel I would like some good light to bring with me.

Should I get an LED lighting system that attaches to a mask? (If so, what do you suggest?) Do you have to get a special mask, or are there some lights that are universal to any mask?

Or a good LED flashlight?

Or both?

I dont plan on doing any cave diving or anything like that. So I wont need huge ones. I just want them bright. (which is the nice thing about LED's.)

I once dove at night with a forehead light. Never again.
I couldn't see a thing for the swarms of tiny creatures trying to get at the light.
I ended up having to take it off and carry it in my hand.

FWIW, I've been using the Priceton Tec Pilot as a low power gauge light. I tried the Mineral Oil trick on it (actually 3 of them) as it is only water 'resistant'. I have been using them successfully all summer to depth of 110' (cold water lake diving) as well as having just finished two weeks of cave diving in Florida.

Its pretty low power and you need to bring your gauge up to within 10" or 12" for it to work, but work it does and without blinding anyone.

The quick twist release lets you mount the holder on a mask strap and, in my case, carry a few with you to easily swap out a new one while on your SI if needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom