Looking for Kona Dive operation & hotel recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I searched and found a few comments embedded in trip reports, but was looking for a little more. Fellow diver recommendations have always been valuable!

We are looking at Kona in October'ish. The 2 ops that seem most used and most praised are Big Island Divers and Jacks Diving Locker.

Please share your feeling about both and other notable operations.

Both of these look to be in the same area, so we also would like some hotel recommendations.

thanks!

I've dived with Kona Honu and Kohala Divers. Happy with both. Things that come to mind

* There are a number of good ops on the BI that get good reviews here. Most leave from Honokohau harbor.
* Letting you dive your air is pretty standard. NDLs probably won't limit you on a morning 2-tank given the profiles. Most ops seems to have groups of up to 6 with a guide. Unless you specifically have a buddy, for the ops I know you are on a gang dive. Since you wil be a few hundred yards offshore max in warm water and probably no deeper than 65-70' I don't have a problem with this. Others here might disagree.
* If you're staying in town go with one of the Honokohau ops. Most run 40' or so boats with a few groups and maybe some OW cert or DSD on board. If you prefer a smaller boat have a look at Wanna Dive. The owner is on here some as well so you could get a sense of their approach. If you're staying in Kohala it's a long drive (40 min or so each way) from Waikoloa and points north. Look into Kohala Divers. The manta ray night dive as well as the black water dive would still require you to drive to Honokohau.

I highly recommend Kona Dving Company. I did 16 dives with the in December. The owner and crew go out of their way to make you feel welcome, safe, and have a great time. They truly love to dive and love the ocean and all it's critters. I was able to dive my profile on all my dives. The groups were small, usually 4-5 max per guide. The boat is very nice, the food, and drinks are really good, as well as the hot shower on board. They took care of all the gear. I have my own, but the rental equipment was all new and well cared for. You arrive as a customer and quickly become a friend. I did morning dives, the manta dive, night reef dives, and a long range 3 take day. Give Kerry and Katie a call.

We dove with Pacific Rim Divers in late October/early November 2010 and had a great time with them. Patrice and Ray came highly recommended by our friend who runs our favorite dive operation in Maui.

You should definitely plan on doing the night time manta dive

If you are diving over multiple days I would recommend Jacks. They will rinse and store your gear and have it ready for you the next day. They have nice boats, nice lunch, and good DMs. Do consider the black water dive if you have time.

Are you staying in Kona?

Stay at the King Kamehaha Beach Resort (sp). All the boats dock across the street.

Not quite all. I think Jack's has a smaller boat they use from time to time docked there, not sure if they pick up off the pier with their other boats. Breeze (caters to Japanese divers) has a boat or two that docks there. The vast majority of the diving is done out of Honokohau harbor between town and the airport.

King K resort looks like it will fit the bill nicely. we are planning to stay in the Kailua-Kona area to avoid too much driving in the morning. We are planning to dive everyday.

We wont miss the black water dive and the Manta dives!

Still researching the dive ops...

I did notice find that jacks is a 5star gold palm PADI facility, and most of the rest are not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom