Looking for Kona Dive operation & hotel recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would strongly suggest you look at VRBO.com It is a site for individuals to rent condos at great prices. Last year over spring break my wife and I stayed on the beach, bottom floor condo with all the good stuff for $100/night. There are a lot of good deals and a variety of prices.

We dove with Dive Makai and we felt we were treated well and got to see all we wanted. Must dos: the manta ray dive and a blackwater dive! Many operators do these.

Let me just say that pretty much all the dive operations have their good days and bad days.

All in all, there are many reputable dive operations here in Kona, I like the Six-Pack operations because they are much more personal, they also usually don't have six divers so in essence you could end up with what amounts to a private charter for you and your wife without the extra expense..

Wanna Dive does a cool thing where if you think you might want a 3-tank, they will do the dive as a two tank, and if your up for another dive (and you will be) it's only $45 additional and they whisk you off to another site. Their 3-tank dives are local three tanks, but that is over 10 miles of coast line, you could dive everyday for two weeks and not visit the same site twice- although you will probably want too!

I have always liked the Outrigger Keahou- they have breakfast included in the room rate and it is right next to the best snorkeling in all of Hawaii (Kahalu'u Beach)

There is also lots of shore diving along Ali'i drive. mix and match boat and shore to really enjoy yourself. Let me know if you need a shore dive guide, although most sites are very easy to navigate.

get Dick Dresie's book - "Let's Go Shore Dive'N'" Kona Hawaii for the best info.

also shorediving.com

I recommend Wanna Dive

The beach diving in Kona is very good. With a few exceptions like a blackwater dive you can go from shore and save $100 a day. I rented tanks from Hawaiian Shack Scuba near Home Depot. Take a look at shorediving.com for a list of sites.

Stay at the King Kamehaha Beach Resort (sp). All the boats dock across the street.

I just got back from 3 weeks in Kona and survived the Tsunami, The King Kam had extensive damage and will be lacking some of its great features for a while. The entire restraunt and down stars were wipe out. They even found a 3' white tip shark in the dining area. My guess is about a year for repairs to be complete. Check out VRBO.com for condo options.

While you are in Kona, you should really do some dives with Kona Honu Divers. Although Jacks is very good, in my experience Kona Honu is head-and-shoulders better. And they charge less.

Like Jacks, if you dive with them multiple days, you just leave your gear on the boat when you're done. They wash your suit/equipment for you have have it waiting on the boat the next day. We really got spoiled.

Both Jacks and Kona Honu have great dive masters and boats, so you can't go wrong either way, but I am never using anyone other than Kona Honu from now on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom