Looking for Kayak divers on Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love Kayaking, but I've never kayaked-dived. I've been out and back to Chinaman's hat a couple times, out around Kahana Bay, and Mokulua Island (by far the hardest for me). How do you fit all your gear on? I don't own a kayak, only rent, and everytime I feel cramped just fitting some food and drinks on it whether I go out on a single or double.

Add me to your list. I kayak every morning and afternoon across the entrance to Pearl Harbor on my way to work, I haven't tried Kayak diving yet but it would open up a lot of new dive sites. Let me know when next week. I am Nitrox certified and have a Garmin 72 GPS to help with finding the dive sites.

itch808:
I love Kayaking, but I've never kayaked-dived. I've been out and back to Chinaman's hat a couple times, out around Kahana Bay, and Mokulua Island (by far the hardest for me). How do you fit all your gear on? I don't own a kayak, only rent, and everytime I feel cramped just fitting some food and drinks on it whether I go out on a single or double.

Well, my whole rig settles into my tank well on the back. I put my mask around my fins and then bungie that to the front, my GPS clips in and sits between my knees, my handheld depthfinder clips up and sits in my tank well (where I can just reach back and grab it for depth checks), my rope reel clips to the front of my passenger compartment (in front of my feet) and my life vest and anchor go in the front gear compartment with the lid. I actually could put a lot more on the yak, but try to just take what I need. The anchor I rarely use, but it is there in case of emergency or if we decide to do a site that anchoring is the only option. The yak I have is a Cobra Navigator XL with the bow hatch.

Puddle Pirate:
Add me to your list. I kayak every morning and afternoon across the entrance to Pearl Harbor on my way to work, I haven't tried Kayak diving yet but it would open up a lot of new dive sites. Let me know when next week. I am Nitrox certified and have a Garmin 72 GPS to help with finding the dive sites.

No problem. Be looking for a "Kayak diving trip" thread. I'll try to pm everybody also, but will definitely post a thread.

Working on Nitrox cert, but not yet...
Unfortunately work Tuesdays through Saturdays...
So only go days would be Sundays through Mondays...so I'll keep an eye out...

After looking into it I've realised there is no logistical way for we to own a Kayak :(

Guess I'll wait until I move into a place more accommodating.

Sloth:
After looking into it I've realised there is no logistical way for we to own a Kayak :(

That's why you get friends with houses...a combo lock, a bike cable, and no bog dogs, and you are good to go = 24/7 access to your yak...

Sloth:

There are also a couple of decent inflatable kayaks made specifically for Diving.

We rent, and my mother-in-law squaks because my yak is upside down on our clothesline in back of the house...the clothes line only my wet and muddy clothes hang from before I wash and DRY them...in the DRYER...

rockjock3:
There are also a couple of decent inflatable kayaks made specifically for Diving.

Hmm, I've seem them back on the mainland in lakes and quarries. Would they be surf worthy do you think? Do you have any links by chance?

Mark

Back
Top Bottom