Looking for jellyfish to film

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickpreve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, I own a video production company in Argentina, and we need to be filming the largest number possible of jellyfish for a commercial.

I am aware of Jellyfish Lake in Palau and similar locations in Indonesia (Kakabani), but those jellyfish are (I believe) rather short and bubble-like.

We are looking for "classic" jellyfish - dome shaped above, with long tentacles hanging.

If possible, in good visibility water.

Where on this planet could we have the best chance to film a large smack (I am told such is the name for a school of jellyfish)?

Thanks to all replies.
Rick Preve

These are the jellyfish from Jellyfish Lake in Palau.

FYI, they are completely harmless, having no stinging ability. A big "plus" in my u/w photo world!

Attachments

• PB150041LR.jpg
    PB150041LR.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 61
Yup, thanks mate I had seen them already, but unfortunately we need the kind with tentacles. Anywhere else in the world where jellyfish may congregate in large numbers in August?

Not sure how far you want to go but in the waters of Deleware USA have those type, I was actually stung by one as a kid. Anyhow, they do at times get just down right infested with them, though you may want to call ahead and see if they are around there are times there are very few too....

Hey guys, thanks to everyone for the prompt replies.

It looks like we will be filming in the Monterey area!
Happy dives

Rick

Stop into the monterey aquarium they have a tank with jellies and a blue background, they were all swimming down when we were there so you would have to turn your camera upside down.:D

This is a sampling of our local (Puget Sound) jellies ... this time of year you can find them all over the place ... typically within the top 20 feet of so of the water column ...

Egg-yolk jelly ...

IMG_6708.jpg

Moon jelly ...

IMG_5073.jpg

Water jelly ...

P1112017.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Lion's mane jelly ...

CIMG8162.jpg

Back
Top Bottom