Looking for information on Scuba Du

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquaman40

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, My wife and I, Along with our 8 year old son will be going to Cozumel on August 15 to 22nd. And will be staying at the El Cozumeleno resort on the north end of the Island. Scuba Du is the operator that services the resort through another outfit called Ocean Tours. I think at this point I am going to use them just because of the convienance of the pick up right at the pier in front of our hotel. All other operators require that you meet them somewhere in town thus gaining a taxi bill. If you dive with them for 4 days, it works out to just over 50 dollars a day for a 2 tank dive. My questions if anyone can help are : Are there usually enough people signed up to go on the advanced dive sites, as they require at least 4 people to sign up and then charge a 10 dollar premium, is it a hassle to request a smaller, less crowed boat, and are they usually on time. The email I got from Antonio, Manager of Ocean Tours, the cousin of the Scuba Du owner,sounded like they were fairly strict on their dive profiles, ie 80 foot max first dive, 60 foot max second dive. Do They stick to this to the tee. :06: Any other information would be helpful. I am about " dive reviewed " out. Thanks for your consideration.
Mike schmidt

Hi Mike. I just got back from Coz. I stayed at the Presidente, where the on-site operator is also Scuba Du.

I can't answer your question about the "advanced" sites, since we didn't attempt any of them. However, they seemed to be quite busy in general, so I would expect that they could fill the boat most days. Also, my guess is that they combine divers from El Coz and the Presidente to make sure they have the minimum number of divers more often than not. The Presidente lies between the El Coz and most dive sites.

I doubt that you could request a certain boat for a certain dive. Their schedule seemed to be pretty well fixed. They have several different boats - some big, some small. I was on two of their big boats. Neither was over-crowded in the 3 trips I went on. I saw one of their small boats several times. It wasn't over crowded either. I think they use the small boats primarily for the advanced trips. Sucba Du's boats are *nice*. Everything clean, in order, and "ship shape".

Scuba Du was on time, every time that I saw. The crews running the boats are very, very good.

I dove with 3 different dive masters on 3 different days. They all followed the same script. I would say that their dive profiles are fairly strict, but it isn't babysitting. You are required to descend with and follow the DM. The DMs keep an eye out for strokes, but they don't bother you if your bouyancy is okay and you aren't kicking the crap out of the reef. They will ask if you are okay on air every 10 minutes or so. If one person gets to 750psi, they want that person and his/her buddy to ascend/safety stop/surface while the others continue the dive. I thought that was pretty fair. On the three 2-tank trips I took, max depth on the first dive was about 80 and anywhere from 60-80 on the second. But the DMs weren't being super strict about that. They do want the group to stay with the DM. Since these are all drift dives, I can understand that, given the large number of boats and divers that are in the water in Coz. Having a computer does not buy you any extra time, at least on the regular 2-tank dives. However, my dives were all at least 50 minutes with aluminum 80 tanks.

I had only 2 gripes with Scuba Du. The first was minor. The crew is obviously on orders to set up your gear and swap tanks for you. And they are pretty agressive about it. I like to do it myself. The other gripe is with their business practices. First, they charge 10% extra for credit card. I can understand up to a 5% surcharge. But beyond that, it's unacceptable to me. Forturnately, I had enough cash on me. They are also very agressive about signing you up for multi-day packages. That doesn't work out for my wife and me since one of us often doesn't dive every day for one reason or another. So we are prepared to pay a bit extra to pay as we go. After our first trip, we tried to sign up for the next day, speaking to the same woman that took our money for the first dive (and tried to give us the hard-sell). "Oh the morning dive is sold out and all dives on the following day are sold out." Wife and I thought it over and decided to do an afternoon dive the next day and to just use another operator for the 3rd day. As luck would have it, we talked to a different clerk. I asked him to recommend another operator who would pick us up at the Presidente dock. Suddenly, we could get on the dives we wanted. And they didn't just overfill the boat - everything was normal aboard.

Anyway, a very professional, fairly conservative, operation once you set foot on the boat. Beware of the sales office.

Been to Coz a few times, never with Scubadu, but topside, I'd recommend taking your son to the PUtt-PUTT mini golf located 2 blocks inland from the northside of the square. Great fun, lots of banana trees and homemade wine and soda delivery to whatever hole you are on when you get thirsty. Enjoy.

Even_Stephen:
Hi Mike. I just got back from Coz. I stayed at the Presidente, where the on-site operator is also Scuba Du.

...The other gripe is with their business practices. First, they charge 10% extra for credit card. I can understand up to a 5% surcharge. But beyond that, it's unacceptable to me. Forturnately, I had enough cash on me. They are also very agressive about signing you up for multi-day packages. That doesn't work out for my wife and me since one of us often doesn't dive every day for one reason or another. So we are prepared to pay a bit extra to pay as we go. After our first trip, we tried to sign up for the next day, speaking to the same woman that took our money for the first dive (and tried to give us the hard-sell). "Oh the morning dive is sold out and all dives on the following day are sold out." Wife and I thought it over and decided to do an afternoon dive the next day and to just use another operator for the 3rd day. As luck would have it, we talked to a different clerk. I asked him to recommend another operator who would pick us up at the Presidente dock. Suddenly, we could get on the dives we wanted. And they didn't just overfill the boat - everything was normal aboard.

Anyway, a very professional, fairly conservative, operation once you set foot on the boat. Beware of the sales office.

The 10% for credit card purchases is a pretty standard deal here. Prices across the board are typically based on cash prices, and are usually 10% lower. When paying by credit card, they have no choice but to charge you the IVA and the high surcharges the banks charge here. Additioanlly, establishments often do not receive their payment from the banks here for credit card purchases for several weeks. They were not scamming you, they were doing what 90% of the businesses in Mexico do.

As far as the suddenly having room for you, it is quite possible that they opened up another boat or that they had some cancellations.

Scuba Du runs a stand up operation, although ver conservative. Please don't be so hard on them when you really don't understand all that is involved in running a dive operation, or a business in general here.

Even_Stephen:

I can't answer your question about the "advanced" sites, since we didn't attempt any of them. However, they seemed to be quite busy in general, so I would expect that they could fill the boat most days. Also, my guess is that they combine divers from El Coz and the Presidente to make sure they have the minimum number of divers more often than not. The Presidente lies between the El Coz and most dive sites.

I doubt that you could request a certain boat for a certain dive. Their schedule seemed to be pretty well fixed. They have several different boats - some big, some small. I was on two of their big boats. Neither was over-crowded in the 3 trips I went on. I saw one of their small boats several times. It wasn't over crowded either. I think they use the small boats primarily for the advanced trips. Sucba Du's boats are *nice*. Everything clean, in order, and "ship shape".

Scuba Du was on time, every time that I saw. The crews running the boats are very, very good.

I dove with 3 different dive masters on 3 different days. They all followed the same script. I would say that their dive profiles are fairly strict, but it isn't babysitting. You are required to descend with and follow the DM. The DMs keep an eye out for strokes, but they don't bother you if your bouyancy is okay and you aren't kicking the crap out of the reef. They will ask if you are okay on air every 10 minutes or so. If one person gets to 750psi, they want that person and his/her buddy to ascend/safety stop/surface while the others continue the dive. I thought that was pretty fair. On the three 2-tank trips I took, max depth on the first dive was about 80 and anywhere from 60-80 on the second. But the DMs weren't being super strict about that. They do want the group to stay with the DM. Since these are all drift dives, I can understand that, given the large number of boats and divers that are in the water in Coz. Having a computer does not buy you any extra time, at least on the regular 2-tank dives. However, my dives were all at least 50 minutes with aluminum 80 tanks.

I had only 2 gripes with Scuba Du. The first was minor. The crew is obviously on orders to set up your gear and swap tanks for you. And they are pretty agressive about it. I like to do it myself. The other gripe is with their business practices. First, they charge 10% extra for credit card. I can understand up to a 5% surcharge. But beyond that, it's unacceptable to me. Forturnately, I had enough cash on me. They are also very agressive about signing you up for multi-day packages. That doesn't work out for my wife and me since one of us often doesn't dive every day for one reason or another. So we are prepared to pay a bit extra to pay as we go. After our first trip, we tried to sign up for the next day, speaking to the same woman that took our money for the first dive (and tried to give us the hard-sell). "Oh the morning dive is sold out and all dives on the following day are sold out." Wife and I thought it over and decided to do an afternoon dive the next day and to just use another operator for the 3rd day. As luck would have it, we talked to a different clerk. I asked him to recommend another operator who would pick us up at the Presidente dock. Suddenly, we could get on the dives we wanted. And they didn't just overfill the boat - everything was normal aboard.

Thanks Stephen, every bit of info is very helpful. So far it seems that everything I have heard or read about Scuba Du is at least consistant, Safe conservative well run operation. I'm like you however in that I would rather pay as I go in case I decide to change operators and don't want to commit to Scuba Du. However the price difference between a 1 day 2 tank trip, and a 4 day 2 tank trip is about 14 dollars per person per day.
If it wasn't for the awesome deal I got through Costco travel, I would probably be staying closer to town and dive with a smaller operater like blue extasy which sounds like a really good operator. I have since learned that staying waaaaaaaay out here on the north end of the island has it's downside. I do however plan on paying cash because it seems like the 10% charge for credit cards is normal business for Mexico.
Thanks again
Aquaman40

cindye:
Been to Coz a few times, never with Scubadu, but topside, I'd recommend taking your son to the PUtt-PUTT mini golf located 2 blocks inland from the northside of the square. Great fun, lots of banana trees and homemade wine and soda delivery to whatever hole you are on when you get thirsty. Enjoy.

Thanks for the info Cindye, It is my understanding that our resort, the El Cozumeleno also has a minature golf course also. Which is another reason my wife and I picked this resort, it is supposed to be " Kid Friendly ".
Aquaman40

Christi, you're right that I don't know how business is done in Mexico. I don't know what "IVR" is, and I don't know what the banking practices are in Mex. But given that, how the heck am I supposed to know? The operator in question has a web site, so why not post the cash vs. credit policy? I was paying top dollar to stay at a nice place and I frankly didn't much care what the dive operator charged for a trip. But, I also don't like feeling that I'm being nickel-and-dimed (centavo y peso?). Just be up-front about it. I suppose it's nice that Mex is still "quaint" when it comes to financial practices (and the public water supply). But I'm just a dumb-a** tourist who didn't expect to need large amounts of cash in a resort area. Now I know.

As far as the trip schedule goes, you may very well be right. But again, I was left feeling that I was being jacked around because I didn't want a package. If there even was a problem, it might have been with the clerk I originally delt with. The second clerk was able to get us on the dives we wanted. The time between talking to clerk 1 and clerk 2 was about 5 minutes. And the other variable was my polite request to recommend another operator. Bingo! We have room for you!

Look Christi, my wife and I scuba dive and snow ski. We've skied much of North America and dived much of the Caribbean. Time and again we've marveled at how similar the practices of ski and scuba workers are. That is, both industries primarily employ "ski bums and scuba bums". Eek out a living in their favorite hobby. Time means nothing, I suppose because they have nothing but time on their hands. Money means nothing, I suppose because they have none themselves. We accept it as a necessary part of skiing and diving. So we are pleasently surprised to find an exception. Scuba Du, once on the boat, was hands down the best run operator we've ever dived with. But the office folks were the same old scuba bums we run into everywhere. That's just a shame. I don't like it, I don't have to like it, and isn't due just to differnt financial practices in Mexico.

How 'bout your operation, Christi? I checked your web site. You had prices posted (good), mentioned 10% tax would be added (good), marine park fee would be added (good), but no mention of credit vs. cash. So, I as a dumb-a** tourist would assume that the prices listed were for cash or credit. Am I right?

Steve

Christi:
The 10% for credit card purchases is a pretty standard deal here. Prices across the board are typically based on cash prices, and are usually 10% lower. When paying by credit card, they have no choice but to charge you the IVA and the high surcharges the banks charge here. Additioanlly, establishments often do not receive their payment from the banks here for credit card purchases for several weeks. They were not scamming you, they were doing what 90% of the businesses in Mexico do.

As far as the suddenly having room for you, it is quite possible that they opened up another boat or that they had some cancellations.

Scuba Du runs a stand up operation, although ver conservative. Please don't be so hard on them when you really don't understand all that is involved in running a dive operation, or a business in general here.

Even_Stephen:
How 'bout your operation, Christi? I checked your web site. You had prices posted (good), mentioned 10% tax would be added (good), marine park fee would be added (good), but no mention of credit vs. cash. So, I as a dumb-a** tourist would assume that the prices listed were for cash or credit. Am I right?
Steve

Obviously, I'm not Christi, but I did dive with her OP. She accepted my payment thru paypal and you can use a credit card on paypal without an additional charge. I think it cost her to accept credit cards thru paypal, just like anyone else, but it was a very convenient way for me to make the deposit. I'm guessing that all the OP's on Coz would prefer cash. Can you blame them?

Even_Stephen:
Christi, you're right that I don't know how business is done in Mexico. I don't know what "IVR" is, and I don't know what the banking practices are in Mex. But given that, how the heck am I supposed to know? The operator in question has a web site, so why not post the cash vs. credit policy? I was paying top dollar to stay at a nice place and I frankly didn't much care what the dive operator charged for a trip. But, I also don't like feeling that I'm being nickel-and-dimed (centavo y peso?). Just be up-front about it. I suppose it's nice that Mex is still "quaint" when it comes to financial practices (and the public water supply). But I'm just a dumb-a** tourist who didn't expect to need large amounts of cash in a resort area. Now I know.

As far as the trip schedule goes, you may very well be right. But again, I was left feeling that I was being jacked around because I didn't want a package. If there even was a problem, it might have been with the clerk I originally delt with. The second clerk was able to get us on the dives we wanted. The time between talking to clerk 1 and clerk 2 was about 5 minutes. And the other variable was my polite request to recommend another operator. Bingo! We have room for you!

Look Christi, my wife and I scuba dive and snow ski. We've skied much of North America and dived much of the Caribbean. Time and again we've marveled at how similar the practices of ski and scuba workers are. That is, both industries primarily employ "ski bums and scuba bums". Eek out a living in their favorite hobby. Time means nothing, I suppose because they have nothing but time on their hands. Money means nothing, I suppose because they have none themselves. We accept it as a necessary part of skiing and diving. So we are pleasently surprised to find an exception. Scuba Du, once on the boat, was hands down the best run operator we've ever dived with. But the office folks were the same old scuba bums we run into everywhere. That's just a shame. I don't like it, I don't have to like it, and isn't due just to differnt financial practices in Mexico.

Steve

Gee, I thought I was trying to explain to you why you may have experienced what you did so you may feel better about it knowing that you weren't scammed. I was only trying to help. I am sorry you took it so negatively, not my intention whatsoever.

My only comment to you that could come close to being construed as "being hard on you" was asking you politely not to be so hard on them because you aren't familiar with the system. Of course I don't expect you to be familiar with it, you are a tourist, like you said.

IVA is the federal sales tax

No, I do not charge more for credit card purchases, but I use paypal vs. processing charges through my bank here. I would rather pay the small fee (relatively speaking) paypal charges me than have to pay the high rates the banks charge here for credit card purchases. When customers ask which method I prefer, I always say cash of course, but whatever works best for them.

I won't comment on the rest of your remarks.

Hey - Stephen, you're kinda' new here on SB, and we want you to feel at home, but ease up, will ya'? Christi's comments seemed polite and helpful, while trying to explain another operation's position. Maybe you didn't intend to come across as rough, but it seemed like it.

I've never had the good fortune to dive with Christi's operation, but I hope to - as I've heard nothing but good & great about her and all. {Signed on with Groups who'd booked the charters, and endured some bad times.} If you look at her posts here in SB, you'll find her to be one of the nicest contributors we have here, I think. Hah! Search my comments about Coz operators and you'll find me pretty critical overall, but it's a different world, and it's nice of Christi to help us understand it.

Now, I do understand how you feel - I'd like to show up, see how I feel from day to day, see what else I want to do, and buy the trips I want to buy when I want to buy them. But you try to imagine how many boats to provide, how many crew members to hire, how much rental equipment to have on hand without advance bookings. Jeez, what a nightmare that'd be! Of course they have to try to book packages, so they'll have some idea of what to plan on, etc.

Hope my comments are acceptable enough, but after reading the above, I felt like some of this needed to be said - whether I said it well or not.
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom