Looking for information on Helium industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xoomboy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any links or information pertaining to current players in the Helium industry's private sector?

Also, I'm looking for info on what the government is intending to do with the national helium reserve (~46 billion cu.ft.) now that the reorganization has taken place. Supposedly 1/2 was going to the DoD, and 1/2 was going to the private sector.

Thanks,

Matt

Honestly, I know NOTHING about this, but I just had to say....

If the gov. is looking for somewhere in the "private sector" to put some HE, I'll be happy to clean out my garage (and kitchen, and bath, and bedroom, heck, all I need is acouple square feet for me and my laptop!)

Well, I imagine they're going to SELL it to the private sector, not give it away :)

One half of that reserve works out to 23 billion cuft. That makes for quite a bit of bottom gas.

How much? Take a hypothetical scuba tank the size of the Goodyear Blimp and fill it to 3000psi with 18-50 trimix. And then repeat another 1,095 times.

erm, how and where is this national reserve stored? Are these calculated natural helium reserves, or processed helium reserves in tanks somewhere? :confused:

The Bureau of Mines used to own gas rights on the 50,000_acre, helium-bearing natural gas structure known as the Cliffside Field, in Potter County near Amarillo, TX. Now the Bureau of Land Management, in the Department of the Interior manages the helium storage in the Cliffside facility.

See:
http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/helium/

The cost of production will make you sick when you compare it to the price to buy the stuff at typical suppliers.

omar

omar once bubbled...
The Bureau of Mines used to own gas rights on the 50,000_acre, helium-bearing natural gas structure known as the Cliffside Field, in Potter County near Amarillo, TX. Now the Bureau of Land Management, in the Department of the Interior manages the helium storage in the Cliffside facility.

See:
http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/helium/

The cost of production will make you sick when you compare it to the price to buy the stuff at typical suppliers.

omar

From the report:

Events, Trends, and Issues: During 2001, BOC Gases, Inc., Air Products and Chemicals Inc., and Praxair, Inc.,
announced helium price increases. The increases were in response to rising costs of purchasing, producing and
distributing helium. The higher costs for helium are due to increased worldwide helium demand which has shifted
supply to higher cost natural gas used for helium refining and from which helium is extracted. It is anticipated that the
trend toward higher costs will continue as the industry experiences helium shortages. The helium shortages will result
from continued depletion of U.S. helium reserves and the worldwide increase in demand for helium. It is anticipated
that demand for helium will grow at a rate of about 8% per year through the end of 2002. During 2001, helium exports
increased significantly due to continued increased European demand for helium. In early 2001, the AMFO initiated
work on the drafting of helium regulations to provide guidance for the Federal helium program. Prior to starting the work
on the regulations, several public meetings were conducted to obtain feedback from any and all interested parties;
drafting of the regulations was underway in late 2001.

and:

Hydrogen is also
being investigated as a substitute for helium in deep-sea diving applications below 1,000 feet.

That is interesting. The Hindenberg comes to mind.

Drew Sailbum once bubbled...

How much? Take a hypothetical scuba tank the size of the Goodyear Blimp and fill it to 3000psi with 18-50 trimix.

We would have a blimp with a 70 foot END @220 fsw. That's a lot of lead, but at least the head is clear.

Does this require a blimp diving specialty card?:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom