Looking for info on Sherwood SR1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james van swol

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone used the new sherwood sr1? I have been reading the reviews, but would like to hear firsthand how well or how poorly it operates.

If anyone can give me their two cents worth of advice, I would like to hear from you.

I currently use a SR1, and despite having the original one replaced due to the blowing up problem, the replacement has performed flawlessly. Just be sure you dont get one with a 1c serial number

In defense of the poor SR1, they weren't "blowing up", the environmental seal was popping off. They still worked; no actual explosions.

I have a friend that bought one and it drew over 2" of water (high cracking pressure) and creeped 7 PSI right out the box. That would piss me off royally. On a boat recently, I fixed one for a fellow diver who had a HP leak. It turned out that the yoke connector was loose and the o-ring had extruded and gotten mangled. I happened to have an o-ring that fit. No torque wrench, though! We just clamped it on the tank and put some torque on the reg body. I suspect that's how it got loose; someone probably grabbed the tank by the reg and pulled it out of the water. The guy said that the SR1 was brand new.

Anyhow, those are my experiences with them. Not so great.

snip No torque wrench, though! We just clamped it on the tank and put some torque on the reg body. snip

Oh no!! No torque wrench on a dive boat!!!????!!! Heresy!!! Just kidding :wink:

Yeah, unfortunately the SR1 has had it's ups and downs. From what I see now it would appear that the newer production examples have had the bugs worked out.

I certainly don't have one of the first SR1 production regs, and have got nothing but good things to say about the reg itself.

I don't know much about regs as I am relatively new to diving (30 logged dives). The SR1 is my first reg and I bought it after reading numerous reports and reviews on different regs available here in NZ.

I have found that the reg breathes nice and easy (most regs do I suppose?).... thus far the reg has done well for me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom