Looking for info about Puerto Rico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfl - first, welcome to the forum. These guys are great. So far I haven't had anything negative posted and they're always helpful. It's a pretty nice place.

You already answered my next question; how's the cost of living. Where else in the U.S. does it compare to? San Francisco? San Antonio? I've been looking around and it definitely seems like the more practical place to live in the tropics.

Did you do a lot of research before you moved down there? Did you pick where you moved to ahead of time or did you just follow the job?

I'm planning a trip there sometime soon. Its looking more and more like the April-May time-frame. I really want to take some time and check out some real estate while I'm there.

How's the shore diving around where you're at? I've been looking at the Rincon area lately. The family and I will probably rent out a vacation villa or something for 10-14 days or so. Would I be better off looking around the Palmas Del Mar/ Fajardo area? At least on that side I'd be close to Culebra and would be a little closer to go explore San Juan.

Thanks for the info,
Jason

costs of living are comparable to the upper midwest, Cars are more expensive because of mport fees. A lot of them come from florida.I used a lot of online realtors to get an idea of housing costs. One of the more complete was TIRI real estate. I live fairly close to Palmas del Mar and I'm an instructor for a dive operation there and Fajardo, The diving in Palmas is open ocean on the windward side of the island,so it can be quite chllenging. Fajardo is nore protected, but generally lower visibility. Fajardo does have some nice soft and hard coral formations, and dolphins are not uncommon however. I really like the rainforest area , but rain and high humidity make mold a serious problem. Medical care is plentiful,as are dentists. The rural areas have about a 30% english speaking population, with a higher number in cities like Fajardo, Palmas , humacao,and Caguas. I would suggest looking at condos or gated communities if you are plnning a seasonal residence. Beaches are all public, so I would think carefullu about oceanfront living. Also, Hurricanes are a reality here and oceanside homes are themost vulnerable. Puerto Rico has a group of small hotels and bed and breakfasts called Paradors that are inspected and reasonable. I've stayed at them comfortably, and you can pick up on a little local ambiance. I think the PR Tourism companyb has a catalog of them. Good LucK! JFL

aches are all public, so I would think carefully

That's some good to know information. So, judging by what you're saying the cost of living is very reasonable for a tropical island.

I didn't know about all beaches being public beaches. That's good and bad I guess. I wouldn't mind living on the beachfront but I can't say I'd be too enthused about having to share my back yard with the world.

I'll take a look at TIRI real estate. I think I looked at them once before but I can't remember what their page was like.

Thanks for the help.

I think that you sould rent for six months to a year before purchasing.

The average time some one leaves Hawaii after moning there is less than five years.

Living is different that vacationing!

That's a good point. I've thought about that a little bit too. I know I've been to other places on vacation and tell myself I would love to live there, but then I stop to think that it would be a lot different if I actually lived there. NO ROOM SERVICE! :wink: I know life's a lot differernt when you actually have to work instead of goof off all day.

We will be in San Juan May 6-10; Carnival Destiny May 11th-18; Back in San Juan May 18-21. Anyone else going on thie cruise that can offer scuba advise in PR or at one of our ports?? We plan on rock-climbing while in Puerto Rico also..any must sees??

1 San Juan, Puerto Rico 10:00pm View Shore Excursions

2 St. Thomas, USVI 7:00am 5:00pm View Shore Excursions

3 Dominica 10:00am 6:00pm View Shore Excursions

4 Barbados 8:00am 5:00pm View Shore Excursions

5 St. Lucia, WI 8:00am 5:00pm View Shore Excursions

6 Antigua 8:00am 6:00pm View Shore Excursions

7 St Kitts, WI 7:00am 4:00pm View Shore Excursions

8 San Juan, Puerto Rico 7:00am View Shore Excursions

I have been to PR three times over the past three years, between Christmas and New Year's. I love the island! Although all my diving has been in La Parguera, I have driven around the entire perimeter of the island and stayed in different cities. The infrastructure is pretty modern. All of the major chains are there. It would help if you learned some Spanish but most of the people you encounter will know some English, though it may not be their preferred language. I plan to go back again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom