Looking for Info About PA/NJ Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello fellow divers!

After many years in Northern California, I'm facing a move across the country to Philadelphia (making my screen name obsolete). I've heard a little bit about wreck diving in the Northeast, but I don't know much and would appreciate any information anyone could provide.

1) How seasonal is the diving? What are the water temperatures like? What about viz?
2) How do people go out diving? Are dive sites more accessible from shore or boat? Where would you recommend I start exploring.
3) Are there any particular dive charters the community likes? Dive shops?
4) Do you recommend getting wreck diver training, or can one enjoy a wreck dive without penetration? (I've done dives in an overhead environment, but do not have a wreck diver cert)

Any other particulars of NE diving, tips, advice or information would be appreciated.

Cheers,
-- I
There are literally hundreds of wrecks available to dive all over the northeast. You should check out the DiveNY group, we are usually found all over the area, and there is almost always someone from the group at Dutch Springs. I have been an avid shore diver, and am now working my way into some of the wrecks, but with where I am located it gets really expensive, really quickly. I went out for a combo wreck/shark dive in August and the boat cost me $270 plus a tip for the DM, and then my nights stay out where the boat is located. The trip was well worth it, but still on the expensive side. I had 30' vis on the wreck, and somewhere in the range of 60+ on the shark dive.

MB104 covered the topic well. Here are a couple of things I've experienced: The boats depart between 6:30 and 7 with a show time of 30-45 before scheduled departure. April/May bottom temps in the low 40's, surface in the 50's. Not-too-bad water temps continue into November. Some boats also have afternoon and evening schedules from time to time; Dine Dee II, Tuna Seazure and Atlantus. You can hire a "guide" the first time, if you're so inclined. The ~$100 boat fee includes only the ride although the Gypsy Blood may include a sandwich and a soda on some trips. The drive from Philly to the Atlantic City area boats, Atlantus (48') & Blackbeard, (and occasionally Sea Lion - 36') is about an hour +/-. Maybe another 30 minutes to either Barnegat Light (Dina Dee II - 42') or Cape May (Ursula - 54'). Of the northern boats MB104 mentions I recommend the Tuna Seazure and Sea Lion. I've never been on the Blue Fathoms. The more southern boats, Atlantus, Dina Dee II, Ursula and Blackbeard (private charter), are all excellent, as well.

What are the rages of boat ride times to get to the different wrecks/dive sites in Jersey?

What are the rages of boat ride times to get to the different wrecks/dive sites in Jersey?

Less than 45 min (on average) for the closer inshore dives, 20 min for the really close ones. An hour is typical for the "better" dives.

Arm yourself for the ride. Being very susceptible, I use the patch but looking into Prevent Motion Sickness - Compare Scopace Tablets to the Scopolamine Patch. I never made it into the water on my first ocean dive. Now sea sickness is just something to deal with on occasion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom