Looking for Info About PA/NJ Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverInSF

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello fellow divers!

After many years in Northern California, I'm facing a move across the country to Philadelphia (making my screen name obsolete). I've heard a little bit about wreck diving in the Northeast, but I don't know much and would appreciate any information anyone could provide.

1) How seasonal is the diving? What are the water temperatures like? What about viz?
2) How do people go out diving? Are dive sites more accessible from shore or boat? Where would you recommend I start exploring.
3) Are there any particular dive charters the community likes? Dive shops?
4) Do you recommend getting wreck diver training, or can one enjoy a wreck dive without penetration? (I've done dives in an overhead environment, but do not have a wreck diver cert)

Any other particulars of NE diving, tips, advice or information would be appreciated.

Cheers,
-- I

Welcome to the area. I will try to answer your questions in the order you posted them. I know you are moving to Philly, but of course most of your diving will be in New Jersey. You can also dive off Delaware and Maryland, but the Jersey shore is a quick (relatively) shot down Rt. 95/195 to the shore from Philly.

1) How seasonal is the diving? What are the water temperatures like? What about viz?

The "seasonal" diving is usually April/May through September'ish. There are many divers who dive all year (me included) with the help of a drysuit. You can expect water temps in the spring to be in the 50's, and by the end of the summer, high 60's (or better) above the thermocline. Viz. ranges from 3 feet on a really bad day, all the way up to blue water 60'+ farther offshore. Normal viz. is in the 10'-25' range.

2) How do people go out diving? Are dive sites more accessible from shore or boat? Where would you recommend I start exploring.

Generally, people go out on a boat, but there is some shore diving here. If you want wrecks, a boat is the way to go. There are many boats in NJ, most are central and north Jersey, but there are a few in South Jersey. Boat trips for a two tank dive generally cost between $80-$95, and leave early in the morning (7 or 8). If the boat is quick, you should be back at the dock by noon to 1 pm. There are literally thousands of wrecks off the shore, ranging in depths from shallow (15-20' for some shore dives), medium (75'-110') and deeper. I'd recommend starting on an easy intact wreck (like the wreck of the Delaware) and work your way up to the Stolt or the Algol.

If I answered this, I'd get bashed, since there are very loyal divers to several shops and/or boats. Personally, I use the following boats: Independence II, Gypsy Blood, Blue Fathoms, Tuna Seazure, Sea Lion. They are all in the central Jersey area by Pt. Pleasant/Brielle area, but I've used many others. As for shops, personally I use the Scuba Connection in Hillsborough (they have their own pool). There are MANY excellent shops, so I would recommend contacting your "Local" dive shop once you arrive. If you are in Philly, go across the bridge into Cherry Hill where you will find "The Dive Shop". I've never use them but I know people who do and they are happy with them. They also have a dive club there.

4) Do you recommend getting wreck diver training, or can one enjoy a wreck dive without penetration? (I've done dives in an overhead environment, but do not have a wreck diver cert).

Yes, I recommend it. It is good practice anyway. Train as you dive and dive as you train. Always.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any other particulars of NE diving, tips, advice or information would be appreciated.

Yes. Generally, you can't go on a charter to a wreck deeper than 60' without some type of redundant air supply. Some boats will permit this, but most won't. Doubles, single with pony, single with sling...etc... (spare air is not really an option). Also, a good drysuit will help you extend your dive season and also make your diving more comfortable. Most divers here are carrying at least 98cf steel tanks or bigger. Aluminum 80's are for the Caribbean, but I have seen them used here. Personally, its not for me. A good light is a must, as well as a wreck reel and at least two cutting devices.

There are a bunch of websites in NJ that are popular, like Mo's board (NJ Scuba Divers Message Board)
Wreck Valley (Wreck Valley Divers), NJScuba.net (Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - Wreck Valley) which is VERY informative and used extensively by other sites to link from/to, and my personal favorite (because its mine), NJDive.com (Welcome to NJDive.com) along with its forum (New Jersey Scuba Diving Forum • Portal). NJDive posts the upcoming dives/schedules for over 30 dive shops, boats, and clubs, and has lots of good information.

Since you will be in Philly, you can train at Dutch Springs, which is a flooded quarry with lots of attractions for training. You can camp out if you want, and there are always divers to meet up with if you don't have a buddy. Going there is a guaranteed way to meet divers in your area.

As for gear, I'd recommend having your own. I saw some of your posts about diving in Northern Cal, and you make mention about shops renting gear. Some do that here too, but its not the norm. If you are taking a course from them...sure, but as a general rule, get your own.

Now I am quite sure others would like to chime in with their own advice, since this the above is just my opinion. And we all know that opinions are like a$$holes...everyone's got one and they all stink :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this answered your questions. If not, feel free to send me a PM or post here again.

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
Mike,

Wow! Thank you! This is very thorough.

Follow up question to your note about rental gear. Does that apply to tanks? I own everything I need, except dry suit and tanks. Moving to the Northeast, it sounds like its time to invest in a good dry suit, but I'd rather not buy tanks if I don't need to...

Cheers,
-- I

You can rent rent tanks and usually redundant air from a number of shops. However, if you are going to dive fairly often it becomes cost prohibitive. You can probably pick up used stell tanks fairly affordable by checking the classifieds on some of the boards. The is also a divers flea market in Toms River NJ in Feb you could attend and possibly pick up used gear there. If you are serious about a dry suit I would be sure to attend Beneath the Sea in Secaucus NJ in March. All the major manufactures attend and they usually run specials on their suits. I crew on one of the local dive boats and teach for one of the shops so feel free to PM me with any questions.

I agree with Martini (hi Sean). If you are going to be around, head over to the Scuba Flea Market in Toms River next month. There you will find whatever you need, as well as stuff you don't need but looks cool. If you rent tanks for all your dives, I'm sure the dive shops would LOVE you, but you should have your own. Personally, I have four. I have friends with double (or more) that number, and many have gone to the dark side (rebreathers) but that's a whole other topic. As Martini said, you should also attend Beneath the Sea in north Jersey. Its the largest consumer dive show in the US, and a great place to meet other divers.

Last edited:
Indian Valley Scuba is a short drive North of Philly. You might check them out. They run a number of Wreck dive trips every year. If that is your thing a trip with them would allow you to get your bearings. Indian Valley Scuba

I personally do all of my local diving at Dutch Springs. It is a very well set up dive park. Season passes are very reasonable and it is a great place to meet and spend some time with other divers. Dutch Springs

I have not tried the Jersey diving. I save my travel $ for warmer climates. In any case you will find an active diving community.

Thank you all. Don't yet know exactly when I'm heading East, but if I'm there in February, I guess I already have plans. Glad there's an active (and helpful) dive community.

I'll probably be looking to do some additional wreck training in local waters, so if you know of any dive instructors that are flexible in their dates - send them my way.

And lowviz - I'm up to it :)

Thank you all. Don't yet know exactly when I'm heading East, but if I'm there in February, I guess I already have plans. Glad there's an active (and helpful) dive community.

I'll probably be looking to do some additional wreck training in local waters, so if you know of any dive instructors that are flexible in their dates - send them my way.

And lowviz - I'm up to it :)

PM me if you ever need a bud.

For your intro dive, tell your instructor you want "South, intact, upright". He will know what you mean. (BTW, it will probably be the Joan III on the Axel Carlson reef. 60-80') She has everything but visibility. Viz is earned on the east coast. Deeper usually = better viz.

Flexibility R us. Not going to suggest an instructor, all very good here. If they aren't, their rep kills them off. Are you a hunter or a wrecker? Look for a shop with the "focus" that you like best. What the hell, if you are totally lost, start with Lakeland Divers -a friendly hunter-wrecker balanced six-pack that makes an art out of inshore dives. +1 for http://www.indianvalleyscuba.com/ But then so does Gypsy Blood, John-Jack, Indy II, I'm missing a bunch, (I'm dog meat.) you get the drift... Start with an intro course so you get squared away from the start.

Lots to pick from, don't limit yourself: "dive the wreck, not the boat". Move around.

Big secret: "Captains all talk". Meaning: Captains share info on the available diver population, solid divers of any range (range = depth that you have the demonstrated skills for) quickly become a desired commodity...

WELCOME!!!

Last edited:
Hello fellow divers!

After many years in Northern California, I'm facing a move across the country to Philadelphia (making my screen name obsolete). I've heard a little bit about wreck diving in the Northeast, but I don't know much and would appreciate any information anyone could provide.

Dive boats tend to end trips in November.

The water is considered cold.

Viz is most often crappy compared to other types of locations.

2) How do people go out diving? Are dive sites more accessible from shore or boat?

Mostly by boats. The shore stuff is available but rarely what people consider worthwhile.

Where would you recommend I start exploring.

Default EDBA Eastern Dive Boat Association Set the Standards718 332 9574

Sure. Lots.

4) Do you recommend getting wreck diver training,

Yes. I do.

or can one enjoy a wreck dive without penetration?

Of course you can.

Don't expect anything other than a ride out and (if you resurface) a ride back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom