looking for inexpensive refresher course & dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CiXeL

Registered
Reaction score
im new to the homestead area, having moved from los angeles. i got my advanced openwater cert at catalina island in california. didnt do much for awhile cuz i could never adjust to the freezing water. i love coral, i had a reef tank for about 4 years till i moved here. im really excited about seeing acropora in the wild. looking for dive buddies and a refresher course i was told cost about 100 bux out here. anyone know where to get a refresher course. im in the process of getting a new dive card which i lost somewhere along the way. look forward to meeting all of you!

Good to see somebody else from L.A. I grew up in Long Beach and have lived in Manhattan Beach and Hermosa as well as Orange and San Diego counties. Certified in 1982, I remember well the kelp and rugged islands off Mexico. Catalina was a favorite!

For the first few years you're here you'll wonder why ANYBODY wears a wet suit at ANY TIME of year lol... but your blood will thin eventually.

You're lucky. Homestead is in good proximity to the Keys, but there isn't much diving in Miami-Dade itself. You'll have to trek pretty far northeast to get to popular dive operators, and the closest shore diving is in Broward County.

Most of us are all well north of you, and we really don't have a lot of divers online in the Keys themselves. You're in a kind of "no-man's land" down there, but we're all jealous of your proximity to the Keys.

Suggestion: I don't have any e-mail addresses anymore, but the sanctuary in the Keys, overseen by NOAA, has a lot of volunteer opportunities I wish I could make. The best way to make contacts is just to go visit their office. You can easily find them through information or the Web, I'm sure.

Just about any dive shop in your local neighborhood can arrange a referesher course, but I'd do one in the upper Keys where you can stop by the NOAA office (around mile marker 104 plus or minus five miles). For referrals, call Brian at Island Ventures and ask for a referral for a refresher course (he may even do it or arrange for an instructor). They're at mile marker 104 at Senior Frejoles & Sundowners restaurants. Brian's boats are favorites of ours, and we use him for group trips often.
www.islandventure.com
Phone: 305-451-4957
Toll Free: 1-866-293-5006

Dude!

Welcome to the land of California transplants! Huntington Beach/Seal Beach area here. Get out to CA periodically for diving. Just have to remember to bring an ice pick to get into the water! Certified in 72 in Laguna Beach when I was the ripe old age of 16 and have dove world-wide since then.

There are a lot of operations that will re-cert you. I'd do it just to catch up on old times, but since I'm in Orlando, it wouldn't be cost effective to drive all the way up here. Give a call to some operations in the Keys, I liked Ocean Divers a lot, but ITS a Dive and Atlantis Dive Center are all good ops as well.

Best of luck and hopefully, we'll finally get to meet on a SCUBABOARD Dive!

Later Dude!

Lee

CiXeL:
im new to the homestead area, having moved from los angeles. i got my advanced openwater cert at catalina island in california. didnt do much for awhile cuz i could never adjust to the freezing water. i love coral, i had a reef tank for about 4 years till i moved here. im really excited about seeing acropora in the wild. looking for dive buddies and a refresher course i was told cost about 100 bux out here. anyone know where to get a refresher course. im in the process of getting a new dive card which i lost somewhere along the way. look forward to meeting all of you!
You can do the PADI Scuba Tune-Up online, or I can loan you the CD-ROM. I've noticed some new staghorn growth here lately; but unfortunately, staghorn and elkhorn corals are still pretty sparse in the wild. Let me know if I can help.

"Good to see somebody else from L.A. I grew up in Long Beach and have lived in Manhattan Beach and Hermosa as well as Orange and San Diego counties. Certified in 1982, I remember well the kelp and rugged islands off Mexico. Catalina was a favorite!"

I grew up in redondo beach lived walking distance from the hermosa beach pier. my family still lives there. I was living in manhattan beach paying 1175 for 650 sq ft before i moved out here. catalina is pretty cool. i notice you dont get alot of depth here. its just bizarre being miles and miles from shore and it being so shallow you could stand. had some good times at catalina, its fascinating hanging off a massive column of kelp like a giant tree, doing your safety stop.

"For the first few years you're here you'll wonder why ANYBODY wears a wet suit at ANY TIME of year lol... but your blood will thin eventually."

its a little chilly but its been awhile since i dared to enter the water in cali. i bet my 7mm wetsuit is way overkill in the winter here, id be the coziest one out there.

"You're lucky. Homestead is in good proximity to the Keys, but there isn't much diving in Miami-Dade itself. You'll have to trek pretty far northeast to get to popular dive operators, and the closest shore diving is in Broward County."

im looking to do alot of snorkeling and diving in the keys. its just beautiful down there. whats northeast to see? i thought all the coral was down here. other than picking up the pieces after andrew im amazed more people dont live down here.

"Most of us are all well north of you, and we really don't have a lot of divers online in the Keys themselves. You're in a kind of "no-man's land" down there, but we're all jealous of your proximity to the Keys."

im still puzzled at why theres so few people down here. everyone lives north but why?

"Suggestion: I don't have any e-mail addresses anymore, but the sanctuary in the Keys, overseen by NOAA, has a lot of volunteer opportunities I wish I could make. The best way to make contacts is just to go visit their office. You can easily find them through information or the Web, I'm sure."

i'll look into it. sounds interesting.

Just about any dive shop in your local neighborhood can arrange a referesher course, but I'd do one in the upper Keys where you can stop by the NOAA office (around mile marker 104 plus or minus five miles). For referrals, call Brian at Island Ventures and ask for a referral for a refresher course (he may even do it or arrange for an instructor). They're at mile marker 104 at Senior Frejoles & Sundowners restaurants. Brian's boats are favorites of ours, and we use him for group trips often.
www.islandventure.com
Phone: 305-451-4957
Toll Free: 1-866-293-5006[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

"Dude! Welcome to the land of California transplants! Huntington Beach/Seal Beach area here. Get out to CA periodically for diving. Just have to remember to bring an ice pick to get into the water! Certified in 72 in Laguna Beach when I was the ripe old age of 16 and have dove world-wide since then."

nice. i got down there alot since my gf lived in orange county. she moved here with me. at some point i gotta get out to fiji or australia. thatd really rock.

"There are a lot of operations that will re-cert you. I'd do it just to catch up on old times, but since I'm in Orlando, it wouldn't be cost effective to drive all the way up here. Give a call to some operations in the Keys, I liked Ocean Divers a lot, but ITS a Dive and Atlantis Dive Center are all good ops as well."

ill check those places out. thanks!

"Best of luck and hopefully, we'll finally get to meet on a SCUBABOARD Dive!"

seriously, thatd be cool. i dont find alot of socalers here.

"You can do the PADI Scuba Tune-Up online, or I can loan you the CD-ROM. I've noticed some new staghorn growth here lately; but unfortunately, staghorn and elkhorn corals are still pretty sparse in the wild. Let me know if I can help."

ah key largo, hey youre nearby! i commute to miami everyday for work. of course thats nothing after dealing with los angeles traffic. i saw some staghorn coral here and there out by grecian rocks. i dont know what you mean by sparce but i thought it was good. of course im used to seeing small acropora since im a reef tank person who transitioned into scuba. im going to seek out the online tuneup. im going to go over my books, videos as well. hows the cdrom compare to the online one? thanks!

CiXeL:
"You can do the PADI Scuba Tune-Up online, or I can loan you the CD-ROM. I've noticed some new staghorn growth here lately; but unfortunately, staghorn and elkhorn corals are still pretty sparse in the wild. Let me know if I can help."

ah key largo, hey youre nearby! i commute to miami everyday for work. of course thats nothing after dealing with los angeles traffic. i saw some staghorn coral here and there out by grecian rocks. i dont know what you mean by sparce but i thought it was good. of course im used to seeing small acropora since im a reef tank person who transitioned into scuba. im going to seek out the online tuneup. im going to go over my books, videos as well. hows the cdrom compare to the online one? thanks!
By "sparce" I mean "here and there". There used to be large stands of the stuff... now they're mostly rubble with a few living colonies here and there. I haven't done the online Scuba Tune-up, but I imagine it's comparable to the CD-ROM.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom