Looking for Indonesia warm water suggestions for a September/October trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greetings all. Pretty much a novice to Indonesia, except for Bali.
First, I've read in numerous places that good diving (post-heavy rains) starts in November for Raja,
and I've noticed the dive boats don't really move over there until then.
My best time to get away is Sept/October, though it's Raja I really want to go to.
So first I'd like confirmation, or not, that what I've read about start of season for Raja is the case.
Second, where IS good to go in Indo (not Bali) where the water is the warmest, preferably with
ocean mantas, and with healthy reefs? (I know they generally like current and colder water!)
I mention water temp. because I've read that some areas of Komodo and Banda sea can be
quite cold. Thanks.
Sept/Oct is excellent for Komodo. I have dived Komodo 4 times during that time of year and temps were consistent each time. North and central Komodo are warm (low 80’s) but south can cold. We got down to high 60’s in Manta Alley before but the 20-something mantas at once made it worth it and we forgot about how cold it was.

I have also dived Raja Ampat in October and it was good but the conditions were more ideal in Komodo. I prefer diving Raja Ampat in April if we are talking about shoulder season.

Also another great destination in Sept or Oct is Alor. I have dived Alor twice during this time period. Barring mantas, I actually love Alor just as much or more than Komodo or Raja Ampat which are both favorites of mine.

I’m in the process of wrangling 2024 trips so 2026 is a ways away but you know Indo is an annual or biannual trip so I will hope to meet you there at some point. :)

For 2024, I’ll be in Raja Ampat on 19-29 February with Blue Manta, a rescheduled trip from February 2022, when Raja Ampat was still closed.

I’ll be on Infiniti on 1-7 June, 2024, diving in Tubbataha, Philippines. We chartered the whole boat and still have one open spot for female to share cabin, if you are interested.

One of my dive buddies has been whispering to me about going to Triton Bay, staying either in the resort (Triton Bay Divers) or on liveaboard (Damai I, Seven Seas or Sea Horse, which ever available). I’ll prefer to be on liveaboard due to the malaria is still exist in Kaimana.

The timing would be around October-November 2024, as it’s one of the white legs (routes that I haven’t explored) of my Ultimate East Indonesia trip.

@Dan I did an Asmat trip and did much of your white line. The best diving was up in Triton Bay and Raja. It was a really amazing cultural/dive trip.

Good to hear that Triton Bay is as good as Raja Ampat. Thanks for the tip! I'm looking forward to going there next year.

Sept/Oct is excellent for Komodo. I have dived Komodo 4 times during that time of year and temps were consistent each time. North and central Komodo are warm (low 80’s) but south can cold. We got down to high 60’s in Manta Alley before but the 20-something mantas at once made it worth it and we forgot about how cold it was.

I have also dived Raja Ampat in October and it was good but the conditions were more ideal in Komodo. I prefer diving Raja Ampat in April if we are talking about shoulder season.

Also another great destination in Sept or Oct is Alor. I have dived Alor twice during this time period. Barring mantas, I actually love Alor just as much or more than Komodo or Raja Ampat which are both favorites of mine.

Super-helpful, thank you. Are you referring only to LOBs, or have you also stayed on land in Raja? I've been in touch with some people who said the conditions were fine in central Raja in October when based at a resort or homestay. Also great to know about Raja in April as a possibility.
Are there large pelagics in Alor? That's not been on my radar.

Are there large pelagics in Alor? That's not been on my radar.
With a little bit of luck and timing (2-3 days around full moon) hammerheads that I can confirm (with sometimes silkies within the school), thresher sharks have been reported as well.
With more luck blue whales in oct-nov.
Alor is MUCH better dived from a resort.

...and a dry suit! So freakin' cold.
C'mon, northern sites are not that cold!
Once in a while you get a wake up dive in Anemone city :laughsnow:

Back
Top Bottom