Looking for Indonesia warm water suggestions for a September/October trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ojo

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Greetings all. Pretty much a novice to Indonesia, except for Bali.
First, I've read in numerous places that good diving (post-heavy rains) starts in November for Raja,
and I've noticed the dive boats don't really move over there until then.
My best time to get away is Sept/October, though it's Raja I really want to go to.
So first I'd like confirmation, or not, that what I've read about start of season for Raja is the case.
Second, where IS good to go in Indo (not Bali) where the water is the warmest, preferably with
ocean mantas, and with healthy reefs? (I know they generally like current and colder water!)
I mention water temp. because I've read that some areas of Komodo and Banda sea can be
quite cold. Thanks.

Personally, I would recommend Komodo for Sept/October speaking from experience (I dived Komodo in 2019 and 2022 during these months). I dived a 3mm wetsuit and water temperature was between 80 and 85.

Happy diving!

Greetings all. Pretty much a novice to Indonesia, except for Bali.
First, I've read in numerous places that good diving (post-heavy rains) starts in November for Raja,
and I've noticed the dive boats don't really move over there until then.
My best time to get away is Sept/October, though it's Raja I really want to go to.
So first I'd like confirmation, or not, that what I've read about start of season for Raja is the case.
Second, where IS good to go in Indo (not Bali) where the water is the warmest, preferably with
ocean mantas, and with healthy reefs? (I know they generally like current and colder water!)
I mention water temp. because I've read that some areas of Komodo and Banda sea can be
quite cold. Thanks.
I think it depends on where in Raja. There are LOB's that run Northern Raja trips in August/September (e.g. Dewi and Coralia). LOB range expands in October and full RA routes (including southern-Misool) get going in November. Early Fall can mean really good viz.

Likewise Mr.Poseidon.
Still Komodo for mantas, waters in the north/central part are warm, unlike the southern parts.
The reefs are exceptional, some of the best in Indo for health and colors.

quite cold. Thanks.
Your best option is Komodo. Bring a 3mm full suit and a vest with hood. Cold tolerance is different individually.
Oceanic manta or reef manta?

Your best option is Komodo. Bring a 3mm full suit and a vest with hood. Cold tolerance is different individually.
Oceanic manta or reef manta?

I might just take my 5mm - used it in Coz a couple weeks ago when the water temp was 80, and it was just right. Sorry, I wrote "ocean manta" and meant oceanic. Favorite area of Komodo?

Likewise Mr.Poseidon.
Still Komodo for mantas, waters in the north/central part are warm, unlike the southern parts.

Personally, I would recommend Komodo for Sept/October speaking from experience (I dived Komodo in 2019 and 2022 during these months). I dived a 3mm wetsuit and water temperature was between 80 and 85.

Happy diving!
Thank you Mr. P. What area of Komodo or what boat(s) did you prefer?

Likewise Mr.Poseidon.

So helpful, thank you Luko. That photo is fabulous. Any particular routes of boats to recommend, or did you dive from a resort?

I think it depends on where in Raja. There are LOB's that run Northern Raja trips in August/September (e.g. Dewi and Coralia). LOB range expands in October and full RA routes (including southern-Misool) get going in November. Early Fall can mean really good viz.
Kendall, have you dived the northern Raja area, and if so, how was it?

Do the boats not go to central and southern Raja until November because there are monsoons still in Sept./Oct.? Or for some other reason?
Ah, never mind - found the info: Seasons & Temperature | Raja Ampat Marine Park

Back
Top Bottom