Looking for Hooded Vest Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cobbonthecorn

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been shopping around for a hooded vest and seen some great deals this holiday season. What are your thoughts? (Please include thoughts on warmth, ease to don, and price.) Among the opinions, has anyone compared a Henderson hyperstretch to a gold to an insta-dry? How about Bare, Pinnacle, others? Thanks in advance, I'll be watching!

Look at Atlan It is more like a sleeveless shorty than a vest. Around $ 125 easy to get on stops the water trickle down the neck. I put mine over a 7mm semi-dry and dove thru the ice several times . Hopes this helps
Randy

I recently got the Bare Artic hooded 7mil vest. Goes on easy, and on top of a 7mil full suit I've found myself staying quite nice and comfy in 48-49F water.

I have an XS Scuba Pyrostretch Hooded Vest. Very warm, easy to get into, but it does take a little wiggling to get out of once it is wet. Great price too. I bought mine from Scuba Toys though. ST does not show it on their site but that can get it and they will beat scuba.com price. Much better price than the Henderson hyperstretch...

Phil

Not sure if you're using this for cold or warm water. Mine are primarily for warm water.

They are 2mm and used to be sold by Divers Direct under the COMP brand name. What I like about these is that they have a zipper that runs the length of the side making it a little easier to get on and off. Bare might also make one with a side zipper.

The last one that I bought of these was thru eBay.

Good luck.

I find it doesn't add any more stiffness to the neck area than just a plain 7mil hood. It does add a bit to your buoyancy, so you'll need more weight. But that's not really a big deal, just do a buoyancy check before committing to the next dive :wink:

I finally had a chance to dive in my Bare Arctic suit with the Arctic vest. I happened to snow here in the PNW so outside temps ~32 and the water was 50. Completed two 40 minute dives (dry divers left after the first) and was nice and warm. Only my fingertips were starting to feel the cold. The suit and hood are a nice fit and worked well for me.

sunnydude- Interesting. I was just looking at the Arctic Vest to put over or under my Henderson 7/5 Hyperstretch. (Great Lakes diving in the spring, expect upper 40's and lower 50's) Do you don it over or under? Have you tried both? Size wise, did you buy larger by a size?

All- Keep the thoughts coming, I have not decided but do apreciate the input!

It is meant to be worn over the top. Same size as the suit. My Bare Arctic suit wouldn't fit right if it was inside and it is basically a modification of a farmer john jacket. Like I said...worth the price and am very happy with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom