Looking for HI Travel advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverRider

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My fiancee and 2 children, 13 and 12 are looking at going to HI next year. I would like to do some diving while there but have seen both good and bad reviews of different sites there. I wanted to dive the Molokini Crater in Maui but I spoke to a dive operator three and he was quite honest with me and told me they are 20 years behind the mainland. They don't even have Nitrox there. Is this true? I was also taken back by the price of a 2 tank dive to the crater, $134.
I'm looking for some people with experience in travel to HI with children. They both like to snorkel but won't do it if there is going to be a possiblity of sharks there. I want to best the best bang for thhe buck and we would like to see not just one island in the 2 weeks we will be there.

Any help is appreciated. If we can't get a better idea about this adventure we will go elsewhere.

Thanks ahead of time for any tips :)

It's the ocean so there is always the possibility of sharks. Getting bit by a shark is a lot like getting hit by lightning - rare but I don't play golf in thunderstorms and I don't snorkel over drop offs in murky water. The prices in Hawaii are the prices in Hawaii. It is a tourist destination after all.

It's the ocean so there is always the possibility of sharks. Getting bit by a shark is a lot like getting hit by lightning - rare but I don't play golf in thunderstorms and I don't snorkel over drop offs in murky water. The prices in Hawaii are the prices in Hawaii. It is a tourist destination after all.

Yea thanks, I know it's a tourist trap, tell me something I don't know. I've done a lot of travel, just not there. There are some places deemed shark safe.... I was looking for advice not a reply with retort.

Please don't bother sending me any more advice Doubler

I went to Hawaii in June we dove the crater with Lahani divers I believe there was Nitrox available but we didn't use it on that trip. The crater is awesome diving my mom and dad snorkled there while we were diving...they did not enjoy the snorkleing that much not much to see for them. There were some white tip reef sharks at the crater but they were just chillin. I wouldn't let those shark keep me away they didn't seem to be bothered with all the divers around. We also dove in Kauai with Seasport divers went to Ni'ihau and talk about awesome! We got to swim with a Monk seal there well worth the money to dive. Diving in HI is expensive but I thought it was well worth it!

You might see white tips on a dive at Molokini. They're often "chillin" in the sand. But will take off before you get close. We found one at about 60' and once we got too close he was at 80' in about 2 seconds. We followed him again and he was gone.

The snorkeling is all done closer to the island. In several trips I don't ever remember the snorkelers in our group mentioning seeing a shark. On Maui itself, you may want to stay away from Olawalu as there can be sharks there - (Tigers) I don't even dive there because it's often murky.

Wailea Beach in south Maui is a pretty safe snorkel spot, it's relatively shallow and the beach traffic seems to scare off even the white tips, we've never seen a shark there and dove/snorkeled that area all week once quite a few years ago when it wasn't as crowded as it is now. There's some good, shallower snorkeling off the south point there.

You can get Nitrox at Maui Dreams Dive Co, B&B Scuba, Ed Robinsons, or Lahaina Divers from what I've read. My buddy dives it there, he dives with Robinsons.

Kauai might be a good second location. Poipu Beach has a shallow pool for snorkeling. It's completely enclosed by a breakwater. Little kids snorkel there often with the tropical fish. It's surpringly entertaining. And there might be monk seals sunning themselves further out.

Or Hawaii. The kids could see the Volcanos National Park. If you like big resorts, the Hilton Waikoloa Village has both a dolphin encounter and a 4 acre protected lagoon. There's turtles in there and you can swim/snorkel with them.

Last edited:
Late reply, but anyway:

Since you are traveling with kids, you might want to consider a condo rather than hotel, and consider "splitting" your time between 2 islands. Here is a link to vacation rentals:

VRBO is Vacation Rentals By Owner

Hawaii is expensive in general. I've lived here most of my life, and the high cost of living, well, sucks... but I wouldn't live anywhere else. The high cost of living will be a factor in any activity you do here, diving included. Running a dive boat, paying the crew, etc., will cost much more here than in Mexico for example.

Sharks... well, most any place in Hawaii there is the possibilty of seeing sharks, but I'd say snorkeling most anywhere is perfectly safe. Anyone who tells you "there are never any sharks at this beach" are uniformed or lying. Should you worry about it? That is up to you. We do have Tiger sharks, but it is extremely unlikely that you'll be lucky enough to see one. My standard recommendation is to avoid snorkeling at sunrise and sunset (or at night), and avoid murky water. My kids snorkel, scuba, body board and surf in known "Tiger" waters here in Hilo. Is there any risk? Sure.! A big risk? NO!!

If you decide that you will be coming to the Big Island, shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer specific questions if I can.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom