Looking for good underwater digital camera for snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mtamborra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for a decent camera but can't seem to find many. I'm not looking to spend much more than 300 on one

I checked out the pentax optio w80 but no word on when it releases and I've read mixed reviews for the cannon D-10

I'd like something that I can take down atleast 15 feet without some huge ugly casing

if anyone has reccommendations it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

I dive with two people who swear by their Oly 770sw. From what I have read, you can take them as deep as 60' without a failure.

I'm looking for a decent camera but can't seem to find many. I'm not looking to spend much more than 300 on one

I checked out the pentax optio w80 but no word on when it releases and I've read mixed reviews for the cannon D-10

I'd like something that I can take down atleast 15 feet without some huge ugly casing

if anyone has reccommendations it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

A friend of mine uses a Cannon G9 (the G10 is out now). His pictures are great and it shoots good video too. The viewfinder is nice and big. It seems ideal for snorkeling. You would probably get a better response in the uw photograpy forum.

Hey there,

I had the same question you had about a yr okay. The Olympus cameras have some grt underwater cameras out that already have the settings programed to be underwater. As you are only snorkeling you can go for either the 30ft or the 60ft camera.. both also come with a Underwater housing for a little extra (And less worry if one does leak and not to big). My friend did this and loves her camera... I had an older Olympus 'point n shoot' and got an ikelite housing for it and it still does take great pictures though I do have to play around with the settings more.

I love Olympus and have worked with them for many years but I also like some of the cannon models. I would suggest either going online to their websites or talk to someone at a camera shop....

Hope this helps, take care and enjoy the water

Thanks everyone, I believe I am going to get the olympus tough 8000 camera

I have the Olympus SW1030 (I believe the Tough 8000 is the newer version of it) and I LOVE LOVE it for snorkeling and diving. Great camera, not bulky, easy to use. Make sure you get a good floating strap for it; I lost mine and it was luckily recovered, but it will sink like a stone and the silver color makes it really hard to see.

I have never actually taken pictures, or had an underwater camera for snorkeling, but if you go to a local dive shop or even google an underwater camera for snorkeling, you should be able to find one that is quality. Any dive camera will also work with snorkeling. I have heard good things from fellow divers about the olympus cameras, but then again I have never used it myself. Hope this helps some what!

It may be a little over your price range but I have used my Sealife DC800 for Scuba and really like it. It has settings for different water colors etc and is very easy to use. LP has one for 399.00 now. The DC1000 is the new model from Sealife and you may be able to find one someplace on sale and save the $$$$ and get a great camera for a resonable price! Just a suggestion. Others have their favorites, this was my choice.

Back
Top Bottom