Looking for good octo that works up or down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sub,
don't you remember? Swivels are not DIR, are additional failure points and will kill you.

Oceanic Omega II. Breaths better than most in any direction. N

I have an oceanic swivel on one of my rigs that I have used with no problems. It breathes easy no matter its position. But I have to agree with Kraken on the failure point issue. Although I have never had a problem with my swivels, I don't use them in deep or overhead environments.

The Kraken:
Sub,
don't you remember? Swivels are not DIR, are additional failure points and will kill you.

:rofl: Oh, but of course... what was I thinking? I'll go our right now & trash those nasty swivels... NOT! :froggy:

I think that you will find mixed reviews on just about everything here. The omega according to some will breathe wet but one that has not been mentioned that Ithink is one of the better breathing reversables, is the Oceanic Swivel. It is not quite reversable but does swivel. I think that it breathes alot better than the Aqualung, etc. I have never had any problems with teh swivel as it is a different design than the conventional swivel

The Kraken:
Swivels are not DIR, are additional failure points and will kill you.

I saw a swivel fail during a dive in Puerto Galera last year - an o-ring failed, resulting in massive lost of breathing gas. The diver and his buddy were able to make a safe ascent and nobody was hurt but it was certainly dramatic.

I would go with the reasonably inexpensive, but very reliable Oceanic Omega II. If money is not an issue, then the other more expensive side breathers are great, but an octo is going along for the ride most of the time, not being used as a primary.

I have used the Omega II for about 10 years for diving, and also use it when I teach courses because it's very easy to grab and not worry about which side is up, especially when my eyes are on the student who is doing regulator recovery with no reg in their mouth. I simply grab it and pop it into the student's mouth if they can't recover their reg in time. I have done this many times without fail or hesitation. The look in their eyes when they take that first breath is always a pleasure to see because the anxiety for them starts to subside immediately. A student will take the reg from you and put it in their mouth very quickly when they need air fast, sometimes without checking to see if it's right side up or not. After seeing this happen a couple of times and watching them try to breathe a wet reg upside down, I started using the Omega II. You never know what you or someone else might do in a situation where the octo is really needed. Students still have to learn how to use their own primary reg and octo setup though. The Omega II is a nice, safe convenience for me when I'm responsible for them.

Sometimes I will switch from my primary to my Omega II when taking pictures, just to get the bubbles out of my view for a while. You'd also be surprised at how quiet it gets underwater when you aren't listening to your own bubbles blowing by your ears! The two Omega IIs I have seem to be bullet-proof. They breathe a little wet for a primary, but are almost perfect for an octo. They will also fit in a bcd pocket if you can't temporarily re-attach them to your octo holder while swimming.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope this helps.

RDP:
I have an oceanic swivel on one of my rigs that I have used with no problems. It breathes easy no matter its position. But I have to agree with Kraken on the failure point issue. Although I have never had a problem with my swivels, I don't use them in deep or overhead environments.

I used a Oceanic Swivel Octo at 150' (donated my Atomic main Reg.). It worked flawless all the way up to the surface with 3 min. deco stop at 30' and 7 min. deco stop at 15'.

It's very small and ergonomic Octo. Try it and you will love it.

Have a fun while diving.

Back
Top Bottom