Looking for good octo that works up or down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damselfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was thinking of replacing my octo (15 year old Sherwood octo) with one that works up or down. I haven't found any yet that doesn't get some bad reviews. I keep coming back to the Dacor Viper octo, but seems to be mixed reviews, and then there's the whole Dacor thing. There's the AquaLung Low Profile octo, which I've seen comments breathes hard (supposedly along with most low profile octos.) According to LP site this is replaced by the AquaLung ABS Octopus, claiming to breathe better, but not sure from the comments I've seen. Some decent comments on the Oceanic swivel but I'm not crazy about the swivel idea. Maybe the Apeks Egress but according to other threads recalled and/or unavailable here. Any good choices out there, or should I just leave well enough alone?

I'd be putting it on a Scubapro MK10 and don't know what the compatibility might be with any these either.

Damselfish:
There's the AquaLung Low Profile octo, which I've seen comments breathes hard (supposedly along with most low profile octos.) According to LP site this is replaced by the AquaLung ABS Octopus, claiming to breathe better, but not sure from the comments I've seen. ... ... Maybe the Apeks Egress but according to other threads recalled and/or unavailable here.
My main LDS is an AquaLung reseller, here's what I've learned about these octos. The LPO was (and I quote) "great in concept", but it was replaced by the "better design" of the ABS. Apex sells the Egress only outside the US (AL now owns Apex), it is basically their version of the ABS, no real differences outside the graphics. None have a venturi lever (there is no where to put one) instead they are intentionally detuned to prevent freeflows. Not too long ago I tried to figure out why octos never advertise WOB rates, apparently this is the reason. With these you don't have to worry about an upside down reg in an OOA, but hopefully you've at least covered where to look for the purge button with your dive buddy before that time comes -- it may be upside down.

Of all the students who buy regs at my LDS, the majority have the ABS as their octo, they push it that hard. I personally didn't want an octo/backup that didn't breath well in an OOA regardless of the upside down issue, I'd rather hand off an octo that breathes well. Especially since I'd be the one to get the backup if I ever go to the long hose configuration. :eyebrow: I tried the ABS out in the pool and decided I didn't want anyone handing off one of them to me. :wink: YMMV.

The recall had something to do with the exhaust port cover, they replace it with what looks like a plastic mesh screen, it looked like an easy fix.

Vie:

I think if you're looking for an octopus with no upside down then as side breather like this is probably the way to go. Anything with the exhaust vent on the bottom will leak if it's upside down. And what ever you do make sure your octopus is a good quality reg in its own right. The last thing you want is to have a diver in trouble (possibly on the edge of panic) hanging off a p.o.s. octopus.

R..

there is a difference btween the ABS and the Egress. the egress is Pneumatically balanced while the ABS isn't. is the egress really not sold in the usa? i've asked my lds if they can get one for me, and they have said yes both times.

Hi Damselfish,

...well, there aren't too many choices...the Viper seems to be an OK performer, and since it's a newer model there shouldn't be any problem with Mares supporting it with parts/service...it's only the older Dacor stuff you can't get parts for anymore. There's the Oceanic Omega, pretty common and I'll bet you could get one without a swivel if you wanted........I don't see any big issues with a swivel anyway, I wouldn't let that be a show-stopper.

Personally I prefer to dive the Poseidon Odin for both primary and octo...it's side exhaust too.....I have the octo bungied and donate the primary 2nd stage............for my recreational 'kiddie' dives I'll use a 4 ft. primary hose ( although when appropriate i switch them out for 5 ot 7 ft. hoses ) and a 3 ft. hose on the octo. I find the 4 ft. hose fine for open water non-penetration dives, long enough to give the divers a bit of space, but short enough to handle on a crowded dive boat.

The Odin puts out a TON of air, so any OOA diver will be thrilled to use my primary.......but if you don't want to shell out for a Poseidon octo, I think it's either the Omega or Viper.......I'd recommend you go with the Viper.....decent performance, modest price.

I commend you for seeking a side-exhaust octo though...I think that's a good idea.

Karl

I use the same reg (Apeks ATX50) as a secondary/octo as I do for my primary. Think about, why switch to a poor breather in a pinch? If you want a quality octo, you might as well buy another primary and put it on an octo length hose. When it's time to share, you both get a nice breathing reg no matter the depth that won't increase the stress level.

Most octos are detuned so they won't freeflow. This means poor performance. A good primary has a manual adjustment to keep it from doing the same. Put in your mouth and open the vane.

mempilot:
Most octos are detuned so they won't freeflow. This means poor performance.
As you probably know, the detuning of an octo is to increase the cracking pressure. The does not necessarily mean that it will have low performance.

The problem with the Aqualung LPO is total work of breathing. Even with cracking pressure reduced to zero, the Aqualung still doesn't supply a large volume of air unless you suck really hard.

OTOH, a good quality reg, even with the cracking pressure increased a bit will easily deliver the large quantities of air that a panicked diver will feel that he needs.

Charlie

p.s. I started with an Aqualung LPO, replaced it with another because I thought it was defective. Realized it was a design problem with the Aqualung LPO and replaced the 2nd one with a Dacor Viper, which has performed well on the ocassional dive where I decide to use it instead of my primary.

My recreational reg has the Viper as the octo exactly because it's "ambidextrous".

I've used it for entire dives, max depth at about 80 fsw, and felt perfectly confident in it. Once you get past the initial "pull" to start the inhale, it certainly supplies enough gas. After about a year, I've had zero problems, and no freeflow issues.

About the only squawk is that the purge is kind of anemic. It actually does the job of clearing the reg quite well, it's just not what I'm used to.

The longivity of Dacor hasn't bothered me any - if they go under, I'll replace it when the parts dry up. In the meantime, having a octo with no "inverted" configuration is worth it.

All the best, James

Damselfish:
Some decent comments on the Oceanic swivel but I'm not crazy about the swivel idea. .

Actually you can retro fit a swivel on any octo; if memory serves Posiedon makes the fitting itself. (Anyone who knows for sure, please feel free to jump in.) We've used them for many years on whichever octo we happen to own with no problems.

What are your concerns about a swivel?

Back
Top Bottom