Looking for first compass, is the SK-8 worth getting over the SK-7?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
I can get an SK-7 new for a bit under $60 and an SK-8 for a bit under $80, what would you do and why? I've read the card is improved but I'm not sure what that means for a newbie navigator.

Thanks much

Dave

I opted for neither and got a DGX Tech Compass for $39.

Tech Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord | Dive Gear Express®

It's nice and low profile, and it comes with a bungee mount which is very ease to use mounted on the back of my right hand.

If I ever find some reason why I need something "better", I won't have any complaints about having spent $39 on something that becomes my backup.

Love my SK-7! Never had a problem with it and very reliable :)

I opted for neither and got a DGX Tech Compass for $39.

Tech Compass w/Bungee Mount and Cord | Dive Gear Express®

It's nice and low profile, and it comes with a bungee mount which is very ease to use mounted on the back of my right hand.

If I ever find some reason why I need something "better", I won't have any complaints about having spent $39 on something that becomes my backup.

Interesting, do you ever have problems seeing through the window? It appears the suunto has a magnified window. Does your compass lock up fairly easily? That is supposed to be a big benefit of the suunto.

Dave

Lock up? You mean settle on a heading? I haven't had any trouble with that.

I haven't had any trouble reading mine. I have old eyes and wear reading glasses on the surface. My masks all have gauge reader lenses (+2) in them.

But, to be clear, I have not been diving THAT long and I have rarely needed a compass. Usually, when I have bothered to use a compass it has been when I get down to a wreck and I take a heading from the anchor line in the direction of the wreck (the anchor line usually being at one end or the other). That is just to make sure if I get turned around, I can figure out which direction to go to get back to the anchor line. For something like that, I don't need super precision. I just need to know "right or left" more or less. Plus, wrecks can, supposedly, have their own magnetic signature that will throw a compass off. So, I think it's best to not be dependent on that except as a last resort.

In other words, for the use I've had so far, the Tech compass may not have that few percentage points of performance that the Suuntos do. But, I have yet to need that extra performance.

One of my computers (a SeaBear H3) has a built-in electronic compass. I always have that. I don't usually even take the Tech compass in the water, since I got the H3. And the H3 is more readable than any physical compass, and works over a bigger range of tilt.

If the Suuntos weren't so tall, I might have anted up for one. But, I just don't like something that tall sticking up off my hand or arm. That and the cheaper price are why I went with the Tech. And the nice bungee mount. A bungee loop around my first two fingers and another loop around my wrist holds the compass very comfortably on the back of my hand and it's much easier to use/read/orient than a compass on a wrist strap on my arm.

so can anyone comment on the sk8 over the sk7?

Lock up as in get hung up when at an angle. I think the suunto can support 30 deg of angle or something like that.

I've got both and honestly can't tell the difference. Both are reliable, easy to use; especially in a low profile bungee mount.

Thanks, I'll definitely be using a bungee mount. I have one for my computer and like it. I think I like the full/larger boat arrow on the SK7 more than the SK8 too.

Good compass is also Scubapro FS-2.
FS-2 provides a unique tilt angle of at least up to 35 degrees, making it easier to read and operate in most any position. With a floating magnet separate from the compass rose, the FS-2 has a greater angle of operating freedom than conventional compasses. This means you can use the same compass for both Northern and Southern hemispheres, so perfect for travelling divers.

I have the SK-8. Got it on eBay for $50. I have no complaints. I also recommend getting the bungee mount that Tobin has a Deep Sea Supply. Just put the compass in hot water for about a minute and it pops right out. Takes like 2 minutes to change out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom