Looking for fin recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterFox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a relatively new diver and am looking to buy some open heel fins for myself. I completed my open water dive last month using the Mares Avanti Quattro fins.

I didn't really like the Quattros because I found they were difficult to put on and take off. I'm not the most limber person in the world and I have trouble lifting my leg up high enough to click in the difficult snap. I have difficulty putting them on/off with all my other scuba gear on, even in waist deep water I still need my buddy to click the snaps down for me. Also, I have buoyancy issues with me feet, they keep wanting to float and this is rather painful on the back. For the certification class I used some ankle weights, but would like to get rid of the ankle weights as soon as possible. I also tire easily (I'm not the physically fit diver that I would like to be, I'm a bit overweight) and am looking for a fin that is easier to kick with.

I'm looking for some fins that are easy on/off (must be easier than getting the Quattros on/off), negatively buoyant to help with my floaty feet, and easy to kick.

Thinking about the Atomic Split Fins. Can you get a better strap upgrade on these or is the strap it comes with pretty good? I was also thinking about the Apollo Bio-Fin. My dive buddy was using these and they had a nice stretchy heel strap that was easy to put on/off. The only thing is that the foot pocket seemed to be a bit wide...

Any recommendations and advice is greatly appriciated. I really love diving and want to feel as comfortable as possible under the water. Thanks.

I heard Force Fin are doing a new fin for $1200.
Its called the assisted placement fin.

It comes with its own butler to put them on for you.

Just kidding fin Doctor

I heard Force Fin are doing a new fin for $1200.
Its called the assisted placement fin.

It comes with its own butler to put them on for you.

Just kidding fin Doctor

Thanks but $1200 is a bit out of my price range. I was thinking more like $150-$200.

Actually I would look into Force Fins, they are very easy to put on and take off, just get the bungee straps with them. It can take a few dives to get used to them, if you can find someone to let you try them that would be best. You can get them in your price range easily.

I'm surprised about the Quattros being hard. Actually, I find them very easy, as the release buckles seem to be quick to open and close. So I just set the straps the way I want them and then only use the release buckles when putting on and taking off the fins. This is way easier to me than my previous XPert fins, where you could loosen the buckle, but then would have to readjust the strap tightness each time. I imagine the only thing easier than the Quattros would be the spring straps, which I think you can get for them. I loved the Quattros on my OW checkout dives and in the caverns. Way more control than the XPerts for me.

Actually I would look into Force Fins, they are very easy to put on and take off, just get the bungee straps with them. It can take a few dives to get used to them, if you can find someone to let you try them that would be best. You can get them in your price range easily.

Hey thanks, I just checked out their website and there are a couple within my price range.

I'm surprised about the Quattros being hard. Actually, I find them very easy, as the release buckles seem to be quick to open and close. So I just set the straps the way I want them and then only use the release buckles when putting on and taking off the fins. This is way easier to me than my previous XPert fins, where you could loosen the buckle, but then would have to readjust the strap tightness each time. I imagine the only thing easier than the Quattros would be the spring straps, which I think you can get for them. I loved the Quattros on my OW checkout dives and in the caverns. Way more control than the XPerts for me.

You can get spring straps for the Quattros? That's great! I am going to look into that too.

Have you considered Scubapro Jetfins? They are negatively buoyant, and you can install spring straps that make it incredibly easy to slip them on and off.

I have the atomic fins you mentioned. They are really nice, I like them a lot. I personally find the strap on them to be just fine.

Hey thanks, I just checked out their website and there are a couple within my price range.

check out Scuba.com they are selling the Original for $169, but I know I saw them on sale for $149 about 2 weeks ago. Of course they go off on ebay fairly often as well. I would recommend the bungie straps, they are fantastic. If you order them that way, you don't have to pay for the upgrade later.

Also, I personnally had issues with the Atomic Split, those stupid panels that are in the blade will fade, crack, and fall out. I had a pair when I was in Hawaii and they lasted about 14months (being used about 1-3 times a week). I replaced them with Apollo Bio-Fin, and liked them much better (no panels to fall out, and the foot pocket was more comfortable due to the softness of the rubber), but even then I sold them shortly after buying them as niether compared to my ForceFins. I am pretty sure that Apollo makes a version with spring straps from the factory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom