Looking for: Dry Suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, while doing my OW cert dives I just had sweaters and such underneath. 2 Pairs of socks and I was good to go. I don't think I would be buying undergarments cause frankly I don't get spending $200+ that can be easily replaced by something so cheaper.

Sure, it might be more restricting to have all that clothes on you when you dive, but as I mentioned I didn't have problems with it so far.

Thanks again everyone for tips. Few more places to check tomorrow.

I have an OCEANER DRY SUIT..I LUV IT...for undergarments..I wear fleece long johns ..fleece long sleve undershirt..old sweats and a sweater...nice and warm..sometimes I shed the sweater..total cost...about $35. There ya go!!

Undergarments certainly aren't required. I don't have any, the only downside to using layers of standard underwear is that I take a bit longer dressing and undressing than those using undergarments.

I take a bit longer dressing and undressing than those using undergarments.

Like when the undergarment is in Vancouver and the dive is at Coopers Green:D. Coming out tommorrow Scott?

I dive with fleece pants, fleece long underwear and a fleece sweater.
im alright, but i use marigolds and my hands always get super cold.

might as well just use wet gloves.

I have a polartec undergarment for sale if anyone needs. Tag says Large. I am 5'11" 175#. has kept me warm for years in my trilam suit. Now I have a neoprene suit and this fleece is too lofty. It has nylon outer shell, polartec fleece inners, warm waist pockets, and up or down front zip. Just sitting taking up space. Make me an offer?

I think you should try eBay. From your specs, I would say you need a XL Bare NEX GEN. You can get one on eBay for under $600. I also picked up the BARE Super Loft Undergarmetns that go for $400 for $100. I am 6' 220 lbs and got a 2XL that has some extra room even with the thick undergarment. PM me if you need any info.

I have a polartec undergarment for sale if anyone needs. Tag says Large. I am 5'11" 175#. has kept me warm for years in my trilam suit. Now I have a neoprene suit and this fleece is too lofty. It has nylon outer shell, polartec fleece inners, warm waist pockets, and up or down front zip. Just sitting taking up space. Make me an offer?

For you Les, I will offer you a good deal...$20 :D

I was thinking about doing eBay, but am worried about the size and such. For my cert I was using a large Nexus III. I tried a medium Nexus II and it was small, so large seems to be the size.

I just don't want to buy it through ebay and have it be too small/large. Then I will have even bigger problem then no (a suit that doesn't fit that I have to sell now, and still buy one that will actually fit)

While we are at it, here is where I am at currently: I went to several shops around and found few used suits (rentals) for amount that is in my budget. "Problem" so far is that all of them are neoprene, but it seems that none are compressed/crushed neoprene. Instead they are just regular neoprene. Les was more then helpful in explaining to me what the difference is between the 2. My main worry is the bouyancy difference between, regular neoprene, crushed neoprene and shell suits. My 2nd problem is that all of the suits use neoprene seals, which I am not a huge fan of. I was thinking about replacing the seals if I do buy any of these suits, but from what I was old by the shops, that would cost around $200.

Any insight, info, or stories to share that could help me make a decision would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for all the help. Hopfully this saga ends soon. Then on to BCD selection. hahaha

I think you should try eBay. From your specs, I would say you need a XL Bare NEX GEN. You can get one on eBay for under $600. I also picked up the BARE Super Loft Undergarmetns that go for $400 for $100. I am 6' 220 lbs and got a 2XL that has some extra room even with the thick undergarment. PM me if you need any info.

shell suits ftw.

BCD: Halcyon!

Check out the Helly-Hansen one pieces fleece...it even has the ole back door zipper in case of emergencies. We get them here for around $100. They are tough as nails.

As far as suits...if you can find a bag suit(laminate) go with it...in the summer when you are gearing up you will thank me. They are usually pretty tough and you can repair them easily.
Also the fit can be a bit off and you wont notice it that much. Make sure when you are trying it on you have the required undergarments and you can touch your toes, reach over your shoulder...all movements without any restriction. If you dont do this, you will do it after the fact and stress the seams...dont want uneeded repairs or an wedgie.

Neck seal: Neo rock, a lot more durable less prone to failure.
Wrist seals, I have 2 suits one with latex and one with neo. As I use the cheapo dry glove method (PVC) they both do the same job. But I think neo is the way to go if you are going dry gloves...again durability.

BC...well that's a whole different story. A back plate and wing will take you all the way to the nursing home. But a good back inflate BC like Transpac or a Ranger are good choices also...a bit more padding and some neat features.

Good luck,
U/O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom