Looking for diving in MD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squid-france

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello

I'm not sure it's the right place to put this post, but I didn't find a better one. So, if not, my apologies to the moderator and feel free to move it if needed.

I'll be relocated in Hagerstown, MD, for 3 years from Jan'12. It's around 1.5 hour drive from DC and roughly the same from Baltimore.
I'm 2 star CMAS instructor, certified in France.

What are the scubadiving opportunities in the area ? Do you have any dive club to recommend ? What are my certification equivalences in the US (as instructor or diver) ?

Thanks for your feedback and happy hollidays

Last edited by a moderator:
The poster is from France.

Hagerstown is in Maryland. The postal code abbreviation is MD for Maryland. MA is Massachusetts.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Edited title and moved here..

For ideas on dives sites in New Jersey, check out: Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - Wreck Valley

Most of the boats leave port at 7am or earlier so staying closer to the marina is about the only way you'll want to try diving off NJ. Lots of great wrecks and several charters to choose from but the shore is about 4 hours from Hagerstown.

These guys run out of Ocean City MD which is also about 4 hours from Hagerstown MD Dive Ocean City | Ocean City Diving | Maryland SCUBA Charters | Dive OC | Wreck Diving | Charter Boat | Delaware Diving | Dive Delaware | Delaware Wreck Diving | Mid-Atlantic | Dive Boat | OC Diver | USS Arthur Radford

This shop is located in Hagerstown: East Coast Diver LLC Home

Check with these guys for other info. They are a shop about 1 hour from Hagerstown: Learn to Scuba Dive | Atlantic Edge Dive Center

Crosover to PADI, BASAC, CMAS, SSI, IDEA, IDD, ACUC, PDIC, NAUI, FIAS, YMCA, NASDS, FAUI, Philippines. and here: Equivalent Diving Qualifications and Bodies Has info about how certifications cross over from one agency to another.

Best of luck,
Harry

Oups, my mistake.... In fact, I have leaved in Boston for 1.5 year, 20 years ago. So, it might be a reason why I still have MA engraved in my memory :confused6: ?
So, I confirm I'll move to Hagerstown -> Maryland in January (MD :wink:).

I'll have a look at the links provided by Harry.

Thank you Teamcasa and Mathauk0814 for your support. If someone has another idea, I'll be glad to read it.

Christian

Diving in the area is bit cold now, but we have active groups. Most are unofficial groups of friends who dive and dine together.

During the Summer, NC diving can be quite good. The water is warm, but the boat rides can be long (2 and a half hours). ther are actually two German U-boats that were sunk off the NC coast during WWII. One of them is called the U-352; it's a great dive.

feel free to PM me.

Thank you openmindOW

I just arrived in Hagerstown and I'm a bit busy with all the arrangements and administrative activities.
I'll need as well to bring my diving gear back from France (including dry suit :wink:).
I keep in mind your offer to PM you later on.

Welcome back to the US.
I lived near Hagerstown for several years and greatly enjoyed it and its nearness to several other cities.

Other posters have noted ocean diving off of the coasts of New Jersey and elsewhere.
Land locked diving also has many opportunities near to Hagerstown.

Research Dutch Springs near Bethlehem Pennsylvania (Dutch Springs) it is located about 3 hours north east of Hagerstown. It is a cold water, limestone quarry that has many submerged attractions.

There are also several other dive sites that are near to Harrisburg, PA that I have not been to

Another choice is Mount Storm between Mount Storm and Davis, West Virginia. It is a warm water lake about 2.5 hours south west of Hagerstown with visibility between 1 and 7 meters but has the advantage of not requiring wet suits in the summer months.

One thing that you may found different from diving in France is that gear is usually owned by the individual or rented from a local dive shop. Clubs here are more social and informal organizations that I have experienced in Europe, they typically do not own gear in the clubs name.

You may want to message 'Jim Lapenta' on this board. He is CMAS instructor and would know the conversions and similarities.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom