looking for dive shop that puts a little extra in the tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ccrayl

New
Reaction score
As the title says; i am looking for a dive shop in south florida (Pompano-Keys) that doesn't mind putting in some extra gas. Clearly i'm paying for everything that goes in so why not top it off with a little extra. I'll gladly take a cave fill but i expect it to be a more reasonable ~3000 PSI in my lp 98's.

Fill Express in Pompano Beach will give you 3,000 in an LP tank.

I have found an interesting inconsistency in that area. In one shop that I won't name, a shop that had a lot of technical diving savvy, I had to argue to get even complete fills in my LP 85s and LP 108s. At first they would fill them to the straight 2400 level only--I had to ask them to get them to the normal + fill of 2620. If I pushed it, I could get them to fill them to 3,000, but they were clearly worried about it. In contrast, when I had some students renting AL 80s, they were routinely filled to 3300-3500. In other words, they were leery about filling LP steel tanks to even their rated service pressure, but they were not at all concerned about significantly overfilling aluminum tanks. For those who don't know, that is precisely the opposite of how most shops I know approach those different kinds of tanks.

Also for those who don't know, if you take those same LP tanks a couple hundred miles north, they will fill them to 3,800-4,000 PSI without a second thought.

How about working on your air consumption instead??

Wow, what an insulting comment.....SAC rate has nothing to do with wanting a proper fill on your tanks.

a cave fill on a steel tanks is not a big deal as long as its within hydro. A hot fill on an AL is asking form a shrapnel grenade to go off and kill everyone in the shop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've been getting 'cave fills' on my steel 95's up here in north Florida. I was just wondering about the valve ratings, is there any reason to be concerned with it?

Good suggestion. They have premix trimix which keeps the cost down and reduces the error for inconstant blends. It is strange how they treat AL over steel. As Divemaster Tom said, AL does turn into a shrapnel grenade, where as steel would spilt.

Asking for an few hundred more PSI isn't near the hydro test they use on the steel tanks.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

---------- Post added March 29th, 2014 at 12:17 PM ----------

I've been getting 'cave fills' on my steel 95's up here in north Florida. I was just wondering about the valve ratings, is there any reason to be concerned with it?

In cave country they have no regard for fill limits! I like using Amigo's as Wayne lets you fill your own tanks. It is nice to get the extra cuft for seeing some of Peacock and other sites that have more cave system.

---------- Post added March 29th, 2014 at 12:23 PM ----------

How about working on your air consumption instead??

If running a little more would reduce my SAC rate i would step it up however I'm in excellent shape already; running and doing cross fit. i have tuned the regulators down as far as they would go and streamline every dive to reduce drag.

crunching the numbers show that extra on an lp 98 provides solid numbers that HP tanks would get without having to relearn to dive the configuration.

Good suggestion. They have premix trimix which keeps the cost down and reduces the error for inconstant blends. It is strange how they treat AL over steel. As Divemaster Tom said, AL does turn into a shrapnel grenade, where as steel would spilt.

I just want to make it clear that I was talking about two different shops in my post.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom