Looking for dive info for Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterRN

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I looking to dive in Monterey between now and January. We want to get a refresher dive in before leaving to Australia where we will be diving the GBR. Our last dive was in July in Mexico and would like to just get another dive in before our trip. We are fairly new to diving and want to keep the skills fresh. We don't own our own gear, however we did spend money on a good mask and snorkel, and have been renting every place we've gone. I was curious as to how much gear rents for and if it is included in the dive excursions offered. We would also like a DM, if possible, to accompany us on our dive. So if anyone has any information or recommendations that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Lisa
:confused:

Another alternative is to spend a day or two in Sydney relaxing after the long flight from CA and diving. Monterey diving is not even remotely similar to diving the GBR.

If you can schedule a few days in Sydney I have plenty of recommendations.

I'd agree with FishDiver. I did a couple dives off Monterey in September, 2004, but my typical dives were similar in Ohio quarries. You can expect temps in the 50s or 60s (locals can correct me) and you'll want a good wetsuit (or a drysuit). The kelp forest was a really cool dive, but my 7mmFJ/J was in the wetsuit minority. Since you're renting equipment anyway, practicing a bit down under will probably be more useful than a couple chilly dives back home.

-Rob

Hmmmm....

On the other hand the more experience you have diving in the tougher diving (Monterey/CA coast) the more relaxed and of ease you will find in Aussie.

I feel you are smart for honing your skills just that much more before going on to what you find to be much easier diving.

Go on ahead with your plans and get that extra skill diving before you leave!

Just my thoughts!

Hmmmm....

On the other hand the more experience you have diving in the tougher diving (Monterey/CA coast) the more relaxed and of ease you will find in Aussie.

I feel you are smart for honing your skills just that much more before going on to what you find to be much easier diving.

Go on ahead with your plans and get that extra skill diving before you leave!

Just my thoughts!

I have to agree with Jim. Feeling comfortable diving in a challenging environment will make other less challenging dives feel like a walk in the park.

Monterey can be chilly but you can still comfortably do at least two dives in a 7mil with another 7mil hooded vest or farmer john style suit.

As far as local shops for gear rentals/DM/etc you could try Aquarius Dive Shop (http://www.aquariusdivers.com/) or perhaps Bamboo Reef (I dont think the local shop has a site? and I didnt see prices online).

From Aquarius' Site, appears down at the moment so these prices are from Google's cache, the Shops # is 831-375-1933:
Dive Package:
includes all gear plus one tank $65
Dive Package + Computer:
includes all gear plus one tank and a computer $73

As far as a DM for two (again Google prices):
Guided Tour Pricing - Two Dives $150
Guided Tour Pricing - One Dive $95

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom