Looking for dive buddy Point Lobos July 15th with scooters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leabre

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings, my wife and I will be diving Point Lobos Sunday, July 15th with scooters and would like to team up with someone that knows the area and would be willing to scooter around with us to all the good spots. We are unfamiliar with the area.

Whats your target depth and how long have you been scootering? What model? Have you been to Lobos before?

If you are staying above 100 the park is pretty easy to explore.... In the Tech range it really helps having some detailed navigation hints as hitting the pinnacles becomes tricky specially if the vis is down. The BAUE maps are good references and if you can print it out on water proof paper and tape it to the scoooter that might help also. Currently topside the sand channel is hard to find but underwater it should still be obvious.... when in doubt be like the whales and spy hop then duck down under the kelp.

I'm a tech diver, but my wife isn't comfy below about 60' yet so we'd be pretty shallow. And while I may be in doubles she's dives single thus far. Scooters, may be two mini-Cuda's or a mini and a Sierra. We're both new to scootering (will each have less than 5 scooter dives by the time we dive Lobos).

FYI. I just dove Lobos for the first time a few days ago. All my dives were on a scooter. Right now, there is a huge plankton bloom going on. So, in Whaler's Cove, the viz was not good at all. So, finding the sand channel underwater was somewhat of a little exercise (though we did find it, but it took a bit of time and some spy-hopping.) The viz did not improve until you got out of the cove and below 60 feet. Once you got there, we had great viz (40-50 feet) with little particulate in the water.

Also, the kelp at Lobos is THICK. Two different scooters broke blades off their props going through the kelp. So, bring some spare parts.

Navigating to the sites without a guide was not that bad. We definitely used the BAUE maps. We didn't use any "landmarks" per se. Using the BAUE maps, we navigated by compass headings and the depths of intended sites. Using this method, we were able to navigate to Beto's Reef, Three Sisters, Twin Peaks and few other sites (at least that is what we think.) Even if we didn't, what we saw we very impressive.

The main problem we had with navigation was simply getting into and following the sand channel. On the surface of the water, the sand channel was not that clearly defined due to the density of the kelp. So, when we dropped, we were not necessarily dropping into the sand channel. So, after we dropped, we were hunting for the sand channel. Adding to the problem was the fact that there is a huge plankton bloom going on, so viz in the cove was very limited. However, once we got out of the cove, visibility was very good.

Socal guys,

I hope you enjoyed your visit to Pt Lobos. I'm sorry I did not get a chance to meet you guys while you were in town - maybe next time, eh?

I saw for myself what conditions were like when I went diving with a couple of friends on Sunday (7/9). Sadly, the vis was not as good as it had been the last time I was at Lobos a few weeks ago. And for sure, the kelp was thick.

Regarding scootering in Pt Lobos when diving there for the first time or scootering in general as a new diver... I have 2 thoughts I would like to offer. This is really more for the benefit of anyone who happens to come across this thread. I suspect you guys, having had some recent experiences scootering in Lobos, know this stuff already.

First, if I were diving with a buddy who had no desire to go deeper than say 60 ft, I wouldn't bother bringing a scooter with me. The only sites in Lobos that I can think of off the top of my head that are 60 ft or shallower are Hole in the wall, Middle reef and Granite point wall. All three sites are easily accessible by a kick diver who has decent skill and experience. A scooter adds unnecessary complexity (have to get it down the super slick ramp, have dodge kelp during the dive, have to keep the scooter from getting caught in kelp even when not using, potential failures related to the scooter itself, etc) with minimal benefit if you are going no deeper than 60ft. Aside that, I personally did not have the wherewithal to deal with all the task loading a scooter introduces when I was a much newer diver. Just another thing to consider if another diver who is not yet comfortable below 60ft is considering a scooter dive.

Second, I don't know how many dives I've done in Lobos on a scooter (maybe 50?) but I personally have never had a scooter prop break because of kelp. In fact, of all the people that I know who use scooters, I have heard of all kinds of problems but never one that was due to the kelp. To me, this indicates a lack of familiarity with Lobos - that is, not knowing where you can easily travel without getting caught in the kelp and also not knowing how to "sense" when the sand channel is. Whenever asked, I always recommend to people to kick dive Lobos a couple of times before venturing out to places only accessible via scooter. Part of the reason is just to get a sense of how things are laid out underwater and part of it is also to give the diver a sense of what endurance is required (and perhaps establish the limits of the diver) should, for whatever reason, the diver has to return to ramp without the aid of his scooter.

Again, I offer these thoughts for the benefit of anyone who happens to come across this thread. Personally, while I enjoy my dives much more when I have my scooter, I also have seen some alarming instances where newer divers are bringing scooters either that they are not ready for or they don't need. In the short few years I have been diving, I know of at least 3 instances where experienced/reasonably well trained divers got into hairy situations scootering at Lobos. In one instance, a dive team started their dive at Lobos and inadvertently wound up in Monastery.

Anyway, my 2psi worth.

@Adobo: we haven't gone to Lobos yet, that is this weekend.

Once in the past we hitched a ride from another dive team on scooter to get out to the sand channel but it was a one way trip. My buddy and I became a victim of changing conditions and for a 30 minute dive spent over 2 hours trying to fight it to get back into the cove. I vowed never to return there without a scooter.

That said, we won't be using scooters there, because it might be too much. Just diving! Depending on conditions or viz we may not dive anyway, at that. We'll see.

In the short few years I have been diving, I know of at least 3 instances where experienced/reasonably well trained divers got into hairy situations scootering at Lobos. In one instance, a dive team started their dive at Lobos and inadvertently wound up in Monastery.

This is a very good example of what could go wrong. During our trip, one of the dive teams accidentally "finished" their dive in Bluefish Cove. When they surfaced, they realized they were in the wrong cove, but, had no idea which way to go. Luckily, they saw Phil's boat heading into what must be Whaler's Cove, so they knew which way to go to get home.

Even with all the "difficulties," we enjoyed Lobos so much, we are planning a return trip in the fall. Adobo, hopefully, we can meet up then.

@Adobo: we haven't gone to Lobos yet, that is this weekend.

Once in the past we hitched a ride from another dive team on scooter to get out to the sand channel but it was a one way trip. My buddy and I became a victim of changing conditions and for a 30 minute dive spent over 2 hours trying to fight it to get back into the cove. I vowed never to return there without a scooter.

That said, we won't be using scooters there, because it might be too much. Just diving! Depending on conditions or viz we may not dive anyway, at that. We'll see.

Leabre,

Again, if your buddy's preference is to stay ~60ish feet, you are likely looking at a dive at Hole in the wall or Middle reef. All the other sites I can think of (save Granite point wall) are deeper. At either Hole in the wall or Middle reef, there is a pretty distinct reef/sand interface that you can follow all the back into the cove. Granite point wall is not really that much more complex in terms of navigating home but it is further away.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your dive.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom