Looking for dive buddy Point Lobos July 15th with scooters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a note: Yes, HITW, GP, MR are in the 60' or less areas of Lobos. However, one can venture off, including scooter off, to sites further out that are in deeper water while still maintaining a depth of ~60' or so. In other words, one can dive 100' sites at 60'. One needn't dive deep sites deep.

Leabre,

Again, if your buddy's preference is to stay ~60ish feet, you are likely looking at a dive at Hole in the wall or Middle reef. All the other sites I can think of (save Granite point wall) are deeper. At either Hole in the wall or Middle reef, there is a pretty distinct reef/sand interface that you can follow all the back into the cove. Granite point wall is not really that much more complex in terms of navigating home but it is further away.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your dive.

This is a very good example of what could go wrong. During our trip, one of the dive teams accidentally "finished" their dive in Bluefish Cove. When they surfaced, they realized they were in the wrong cove, but, had no idea which way to go. Luckily, they saw Phil's boat heading into what must be Whaler's Cove, so they knew which way to go to get home.

Even with all the "difficulties," we enjoyed Lobos so much, we are planning a return trip in the fall. Adobo, hopefully, we can meet up then.

A couple of years ago I took a SoCal team out to see the 3 Sisters on scooters... after me and my buddy hit our turn pressure we signaled and they waved us off. Making their way back they cut the corner a little too much and ended up in the white water below the lookout point and got "pin balled" a bit. :shocked2:

The second dive was a repeat of the first and after we hit turn press... they waved us off again... then a quick 5 seconds after we left them they were on our tail and we held a tight formation all the way back to the launch ramp. :D

The second dive was a repeat of the first and after we hit turn press... they waved us off again... then a quick 5 seconds after we left them they were on our tail and we held a tight formation all the way back to the launch ramp. :D

Ha ha! I'm of the opinion that anytime someone brings me out to a location, I return with them for the same reasons that I needed them to show me the site, I also may need them to show me the exit.

For the most part Lobos navigation is pretty easy.
North - out of the cove.
South - back in the cove.
East - Cannery Pt Wall
West - Middle reef/Granite Pt wall

That might be simplifying it quite a bit but when you are kicking you probably wont overshoot the landmarks. It's when you are on a scooter just cruising along enjoying the scenery when the small navigational errors get magnified

---------- Post Merged at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:30 PM ----------

Leabre,
As far as an easy scooter dive try to hit up the Breakwater (aka San Carlos Beach) You can scooter the length of the wall and the navigation doesn't get any easier.

Outbound - Rocks on right
Inbound - rocks on left.

Watch out for fishing lines... if there's people fishing surface scoot around and give them a wide margin. Then when you are past them drop down and scoot. Also watch out for the depth change on the inbound... the sand will start to slope up. Don't just follow the bottom up, let go of the trigger and kick up the slope until it levels off again. Oh and it'll definitely keep you above 60. Have fun out there and be safe.

How was it?

I thought I replied but I submitted it when SB was down for maintenance. That seems to happen a lot at the hours I'm online.

I did not manage to find a pre-designated buddy/guide but when I got there, the conditions were awesome! Not barely even a ripple on the ramp. It was high-tide about 2pm when we arrived. I instant-buddied with Philip from Dolphin Scuba and his friend ? Jeff ? (I think). Viz was about 25' and we kicked out quit a bit then dropped heading towards the pinnacles on the left from out of the cove. I had been there only once in the past, it was 47* that day and I was using only a Whites MK2 under garment and was just fine. This time, I had a brand-new 1st use Xerotherm which I figured woutl be roughly equivelant. But even at 52*, I couldn't do more than about 20 minutes out and back in. So we averaged 60' for 50 minutes +/- with a max depth of 85' or so.

I really enjoyed the company, the overgrown everything down there compared to what we see in Los Angeles, and the smooth conditions. This being their 3rd dive of the day, they said the previous viZ was in the 50's around where we turned. The wind and swell was picking up when we exited.

My wife didn't dive and we didn't use scooters. I'm really glad I did it. I have pictures on my face book, I'll upload them later to this thread so show the conditions.

---------- Post Merged at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Here they are:

382535_462262847117923_1282052742_n.jpg524174_462262747117933_693518901_n.jpg563937_462262680451273_1624904575_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom