Looking for dive buddy/guide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaysun1327

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I may be traveling to the San Francisco area sometime in February for work and wanted to try to get a couple of shore dives in. I have never been in CA waters and was hoping to potentially get a couple of shore dives in around the Monterrey area. What are air/water temps and conditions in general like this time of year? What are some good shops in the area? Would anyone be interested in buddying up and showing me around? I typically like to stay shallow (<50fsw), go slow, and look for critters.

Some of the best diving in Monterey is during the winter but you have to watch the conditions. Water temp will most likely be in the low 50's. Bamboo Reef is a shop I use they have a shop in San Francisco and Monterey. They can hook you up with a local guide if your interested.

The water temp has been 50F at the indoor touch tables of the Seymour Center in Santa Cruz. That's usually 2 degrees above the actual ocean temp (after the water has been cycled through the piping.)

So I wouldn't be surprised if the surface temp in Monterey is 48-49F and bottom is even colder. I'll be able to post a dive report after this Sat.
Air temps have been colder this winter than I remember. Usually mornings are lower 40's to high 30's. By noon it can get anywhere between 60-70F. Just depends on the day, but I'm sure it's nothing you can't handle. :wink:

Seven Seas is at the shores of the local training site if you want to hire a guide. There's also Bamboo Reef's Monterey Store down the street if you don't want to lug gear all the way from SF.
In addition if you have exact dates in mind, feel free to post them here as the day draws closer and I'm sure most of us will be glad to buddy up with you for a few dives.

In addition if you have exact dates in mind, feel free to post them here as the day draws closer and I'm sure most of us will be glad to buddy up with you for a few dives.

Second on this...

I was in the water at Breakwater/San Carlos Beach a couple of weeks ago and our computers logged 51F after we went down to 40-45 feet. Air temp was probably 50-55F.

I am new to diving myself and all my dives as of now have been Break Water and Lovers in Monterey. Depending on the dates I just might be able to make it. I have a boat dive with some people from my local dive shop heading out on the Silver Prince on Feb 9th. and most likely i'll stay and dive break water on the 10th.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom