Looking for Directions for Kona Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive California

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Looking for directions to the following dives in Kona area. Can I dive these from shore?

1) Suck-em-up Cavern

2) Turtle Pinnacle

3) Casa Caves

4) Long Lava Tube

Thanks for any assistance,

Carlos

Suck-em-up... in theory, if you can find the entry point and it's calm and you are used to getting slammed into rocks and willing to risk a trip to the ER if things go awry (I've met two people who had ER visits from dives there - 1 concussion, one shoulder separation, and they were actually on boat dives with an operator who's no longer around and got to close to the champaign bubbles). I'd only do it with someone who knows where an entry is, and I don't know of anyone that does.

Turtle Pinnacle. I've seen people do it a couple of times over the years, involves a 300 yard or so swim across a busy boat traffic area. I wouldn't.

Casa Caves, I've been told it's possible but it might be hard to find the exact right spot to get in... I've known all of one person who's done a shore dive there.

Long Lava Tube, no shoreline access.

I agree with friscuba...

Suck 'em Up - I have seen a few people over the years entering the water at this site from shore. I have never seen anyone do it with ease. If the water is completely flat and you know where to get in (and geet out!) it is do-able. With the winter swell on the way, you might find it difficult. Even though this site is typically protected from a winter swell, the "wrap-around" can cause enough surge to make it a challenge.

Turtle Pinnacle - Two problems. One is the very long surface swim. The second problem is I have no idea how one could start from shore and actually find the pinnacle. (Unless a boat was moored near it.) There are several moorings in that area...Turtle Heaven, Turtle Pai, Turtle Pinnacle, and Terrapin Station. You might consider diving the very nice dive on the south side of the harbor. Some call it Manta Ray Bay.

Casa Cave - I have been shore diving here. You enter the water in front of the Casa de Emdeko (sp?) condo. Again, it needs to be very calm. Winter may not be the best time to do it...though there will certainly be some winter days when it is perfectly do-able. As far as finding the cave...good luck. Once you enter the water...head out and to the right. Lots of coral.

Long Lava Tube - You'll need to access this by boat.

Back
Top Bottom