Looking for Cold Water Reg.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it would be great if someone would say why the Apeks are great. I know they are good and have a great reputation among fellow board goers.

I think if you look for the features found on the Apeks regs among other other manufacturers you will find most companies make regs that are sutiable for the cold water. Of course I am not sure anyone can compare to the price of a Blizzard. I know the Apeks can't if you are shopping locally.

cstreu1026 once bubbled...
I think it would be great if someone would say why the Apeks are great. I know they are good and have a great reputation among fellow board goers.

I think if you look for the features found on the Apeks regs among other other manufacturers you will find most companies make regs that are sutiable for the cold water. Of course I am not sure anyone can compare to the price of a Blizzard. I know the Apeks can't if you are shopping locally.

I'm not sure of all the specifics, but I dive a TX40 with a DS4. The first stage is sealed, and the second stage has a sizeable heat exchanger that seems to be pretty effective.

The construction of both the first and second stages are pretty simple, and the second stage is easy to take apart under water.

Even better, you can get a brand new ATX40 for $199 from Leisurepro. That's cheaper than the Blizzard by $20.

Oh yeah, they breathe beautifully and have a tendency not to freeflow :wink:

Up until about 3 years ago the Blizzard was my primary reg, with a Brut safe second. I did all my dives in the Great Lakes, various quarries, Caribbean, Gulf of Mexico, Red Sea etc. with it. It is a workhorse; a balanced piston reg that is readily/easily serviced throughout the diving world. I have used it in water as cold as 34F with no problems.

Other plusses:

- the positive air bleed from the 1st stage essentially means the 1st stage is environmentally sealed.
- the 2nd stage design captures moisture from your exhalation and returns it every time you inhale.

One minus: it is not a high performance reg. Even though it IS balanced, you CAN over-breathe it.

My current configuration is a Mares Abyss with an Axis alternate. So far the coldest water I have been in with it has been about 50F. I still have the Blizzard as my backup set up... it's now over 10 years old but still quite useable.

I guess you have to ask yourself:
1) what are you diving goals? Strictly recreation, or do you want to get into tech?
2) how available is the reg? IOW, if you buy it, is it easy to get parts & service WHEREVER you may be?

Bonne chance,

~SubMariner~

jonnythan once bubbled...
Oh yeah, they breathe beautifully and have a tendency not to freeflow :wink:

They are also easy to service, and easy to fix in the field if something should go wrong. They are generally not "fussy" regulators. I personally prefer the TX50 to the 40 because it has an adjustment screw so you can detune the backup reg a little when it's not in use.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

They are also easy to service, and easy to fix in the field if something should go wrong. They are generally not "fussy" regulators. I personally prefer the TX50 to the 40 because it has an adjustment screw so you can detune the backup reg a little when it's not in use.

I would have rathered buy the TX50, but I picked up the 40 with a DS4 from DiveInn last summer on a killer deal.. yanno how that goes :wink:

jonnythan once bubbled...

I would have rathered buy the TX50, but I picked up the 40 with a DS4 from DiveInn last summer on a killer deal.. yanno how that goes :wink:

Dive Inn had some great deals on those, don't know if they still do. They were also selling the service kits, but unfortunately they stopped.

Let me state for the record:
"This Scuba Board is the BEST!" I really appreciate all the advice and input!
I'm going to look into the Apex at LP.

Another question I have is, you speak about service kits and parts - Are we talking about self-service or taking it to the LDS - I have debated about buying the Vance Harlow book on Scuba Reg Maint - any thoughts???

flyingfrog1 once bubbled...
Let me state for the record:
"This Scuba Board is the BEST!" I really appreciate all the advice and input!
I'm going to look into the Apex at LP.

Another question I have is, you speak about service kits and parts - Are we talking about self-service or taking it to the LDS - I have debated about buying the Vance Harlow book on Scuba Reg Maint - any thoughts???

The Apeks service kits are hard to get unless you are [or know] an Apeks tech.

However, you should have no trouble finding an authorizes Apeks tech who will service your regs annually.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom